Let me explain.
Some of my favorite movies are based on deep romances where the leading men sweep women off their feet with words and acts of sincere affection. Titantic anyone? Romeo and Juliet? Notebook? It's because of these overly-exaggerated scenes and love stories that I, along with millions of other women, dream of how our future husbands will romance us til the end of time. I envy the women in the stories, yearning for that type of romance in my relationship. All the while realizing that, chances are, it will never happen.
You see, Derek isn't the romantic type. At least not like the movies portray how men should be. Sure he'll bring me flowers on vday or my birthday and maybe on a couple random occasions throughout the year, but in general, he's not what most consider "romantic". He'll write me little notes and stick them on the fridge once in a while, but grand gestures aren't his thing and he'll freely admit to that. I'd love to someday be able to post a story like Ami's fairytale but Derek's romantic acts are limited to things like telling me I'm beautiful and texting 'I love you'. I'm starting to think this is coming off as complaining to some of you. Well I'm not!
Let me clarify that the point is not to belittle my wonderful husband, or his small, but sweet romantic acts. In fact, I'm probably pretty lucky compared to a lot of women who struggle with their touch-and-go relationships. It's just that I'm a woman. And naturally I'm going to long for romance. I can't help that I'm jealous of friends who have crazy romantic husbands who constantly do beautiful things for their wife. I can't help wish he could put just a smidge more thought behind a surprise. Sorry, I'm human and I don't sugarcoat on this blog.
Let me clarify that the point is not to belittle my wonderful husband, or his small, but sweet romantic acts. In fact, I'm probably pretty lucky compared to a lot of women who struggle with their touch-and-go relationships. It's just that I'm a woman. And naturally I'm going to long for romance. I can't help that I'm jealous of friends who have crazy romantic husbands who constantly do beautiful things for their wife. I can't help wish he could put just a smidge more thought behind a surprise. Sorry, I'm human and I don't sugarcoat on this blog.
But do you know why I chose him? Because although he isn't as romantic as the movies show husbands should be, you can bet your ass he's a better father than any movie has ever shown. My husband plays harder with and cares more for Drew than a lot of men out there with their sons. His patience with him is outstanding and everything he does is for our son. It brings me to tears to see how he gently takes over when I'm flustered with Drew and need to cool off. And let's not forget that he loves me something fierce.
Sorry ladies, your hubs can go ahead and sport a "my husband is more romantic than yours" bumper sticker, but mine wins 'Best Husband of The Century' award. I guess it's just about priorities, right? I would never trade his awesome financial sense, dorky humor that matches mine, love for his family, hard work ethic or his Channing Tatum level good looks for some romance. Never. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still secretly hoping he'll whisk me off to Australia someday. I guess a sticky love note will have to suffice for now though.
I chose him. My non-romantic, but amazing father of a husband and best friend in this journey.
Oh, and in other news, Drew begins a new toddler class on Monday that I found. It's titled "Romance: It's Never To Early To Learn The Basics". Start 'em early.
Oh, and in other news, Drew begins a new toddler class on Monday that I found. It's titled "Romance: It's Never To Early To Learn The Basics". Start 'em early.


My husband is anything but romantic, but he loves me in a way that I never imagined I could be loved and he's so sweet and kind and loving towards Henry - I just can't complain! I totally get you, girly. But I still say we're the lucky ones!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post. You two make a great couple and great parents!
ReplyDeleteCute post! My husband is the same way---definitely not a movie romantic type, but I certainly can't complain!
ReplyDeleteExactly - you know what matters most. :)
ReplyDeletePS - Love the KC hat!
Thats so sweet! :-)
ReplyDeleteBeing a great father is one of the most romantic traits in the world anyway. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is probably the best trait in a man anyway!! Who needs the Hollywood romantics?? It's all fake anyway.
ReplyDelete¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com
Awww very sweet. Yay for amazing Daddies!!!!!
ReplyDeleteScott isn't romantic. At all! But, everything he does is exactly how I'd want it/need it to be.
ReplyDeleteBeing a GOOD dad is the ultimate romantic trait!
P.S. Love the hat Derek is rocking in the first set of pics. :)
Kyle is not even close to being romantic and I'm perfectly ok with that. He is hands down just an amazing man. :)
ReplyDeleteI believe romance is how we define it to be. Sure, it could be like the movies but there are so many other ways a man (and a woman for that matter) can be romantic. Like you, I picked a man who is not overtly romantic but our romance is defined in other ways ... The fact that we are each others best friend, the fact that we love being parents together and the face that we'd rather spend our free time as a family than anything else.
ReplyDeleteSuch cute pics! I, too, would take sticky notes on the fridge and a supportive hubs any day over anything else :)
ReplyDeleteA-greed. My husband (whose name is Drew :) thought you'd like that) is not very romantic. He is the sweetest and most gentle man I know, but romantic gestures just don't come naturally to him.
ReplyDeleteThere have been times, like any other woman in the world, that I wished he were. I have had moments where I longed for a little more romance.
But if I had to choose, I would go with his natural tendency to be consistently kind and loving. He's patient and chose to be with me, this chick who only wears mascara about once a month. He wants to have a family with me, and I have no doubt in my mind that he's going to be by my side forever. How much more romantic could you get?
Wow, this is long. But, in short, I love this post! So true. Thanks for sharing in such a sincere way!
Oh I so agree with you! Brian was never romantic, but he was an incredible "father" to our dog, and seeing that kind of unconditional love wooed me more than flowers! And your photos are great!
ReplyDeleteI think I see where you're going with this. Matthew is as sweet as can be...would rather cuddle than do anything else, and always leaves me sweet little notes. But the way he proposed to me was so anticlimactic and I had the hardest time not being mad at him for that for so long.
ReplyDeleteBut I've grown up a little (very little) bit, and things that were important to me then aren't as important to me now and vice versa. I'll take him as he is, consistently loving and sweet every single day over a grand proposal that is just one moment out of many. I mean, the poor guy was nervous haha.
Your blog is so cute. And I love that our boys are almost exactly a year a part. So fun. Anyway, I totally agree. Doug isn't the romantic type. I mean he has his moments, but he is an amazing dad. Comes home from work and play with Matix. I'm totally following your blog now. I love it.
ReplyDeletei think love should be rooted in the everyday things, like how you describe.
ReplyDeleteMy hubs wasn't always romantic (especially in college haha), but has surprised me throughout the years and has become more of one as he gets older :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable post!! Cute picture's by the way :)
ReplyDeletexo,
Sincerely Miss Ash
Love this!! And sounds like a very education class--maybe you could market it as a "daddy & me" class and the husbands could learn a little something, too? :)
ReplyDeleteJordan always sends me texts and tells me he loves me. It's not movie romantic, but I love it! I know what you mean, but the movies are LAME. That's what I've discovered. They make me feel like my life isn't as awesome as it could/should be, and that's just not real life. Sounds like you've got a good one there!
ReplyDeleteThis post was so sweet :)
ReplyDeletethanks for this post. nice to know i'm not the only one feeling this way. i was starting to notice that past few holidays i would just complain that my hubby doesn't make as big of a deal of the romantic holidays and that i'm the one that has to plan things out. then i started realizing that i really do have a winner. he's a great father and husband and does like to take me on a date every now and then. maybe we need to watch 16 and pregnant more often. that show ALWAYS make me grateful for my hubby!
ReplyDeletePerfect, perfect, perfect. I love it. Movies DO set up people for failure. It's just not real. But these qualities HE possesses ARE real! And they are what really matter!
ReplyDeleteI think being a great father is romantic! It's awesome to see a great dad with his kids!
ReplyDeleteI just love this. My husband isn't romantic either and when he does try to be it's not always my idea of romance. I totally love him for that though. I love how amazing he is with our children, what a wonderful provider he is & how he is my best friend in the world. I totally think he's an A plus in my book evening if he does lack a little in the romance department :)
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you, dear. My husband is NOT romantic. He'll get me flowers about once a month, leave me stickeys on the fridge, make me dinners, etc but isnt' ROMANTIC. Like you, though, I'm SO thankful for him. He's the most thoughtful, caring guy I've ever known and loves me to pieces. I'd take that over romance 100 times over.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a refreshing post! My boyfriend of almost 7 years is the same (although there are no kids in the equation). He definitely has his moments and his patience with me as I blog has been nothing short of amazing. We are both very lucky to have found someone who is a partner when facing life together.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your sweet comment on my blog and surprised someone also read my about me section (or admitted it) lol
Love your writing. I am your latest follower. Hopefully you'll visit my blog and follow it too.
-Brandy
willbakeforshoes.com
Aww your boys are so cute!
ReplyDeletexx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
Aww, what a sweet post! Totally hit home because I am the same way with wanting romance, and my hubs is just like yours! Seriously, your words have been floating around in my head but never make it out because I don't want to complain about one little thing when he is the world's best husband and father already! =) Wonderfully written, just wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHolly at Not Done Growing
I love your honesty and that you admire so many things about your hubby. What a blessing to have a guy like that by your side!!!
ReplyDeletexo
Morgan
My husband is not a romantic either! His idea of a sweet gesture is picking me up a chocolate bar when he runs to put gas in the car. You know what? After five years, I'm totally okay with that!! Flowers are pretty ... but I'd rather eat the chocolate!! Like you, I may daydream about the over the top romantic gestures, but at this point, if they ACTUALLY happened, I might wonder what he was really up to!
ReplyDeletemy boyfriend isn't really like that either but its alright i'm not a mushy person anyways.
ReplyDeletei'm a new follower.
great post. you have a beautiful family. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post. You have a beautiful family and a beautiful relationship with your husband. I love reading about it xo
ReplyDelete