Let me set the scene.
It was a sunny, warm 56 degrees and I was nearing only a mile into my lunch-break run. I was excited to be running outside in my favorite capri's and it had been a great weekend to reflect on. People were enjoying the sun with windows down and it felt good to be pounding the pavement with some perfect music. Life was good.
And then it happened.
I don't really remember what I stubbed my toe on, but as I was falling down, a few thoughts rushed through my mind.
* Please God don't let me knock out any teeth.
(I have a weird fear about that)
* Don't land on your phone and break it.
* Definitely will be blogging about this.
* Please don't end up on youtube.
As I reached for my mace, I noticed my bloody palm and thought meh, not bad. Pushing myself into a sitting position, however, I pulled back my pant legs to reveal a bloody mess on my knee and then the pain began. I couldn't stand just yet as the shock of it all had me shaky like I could pass out. There was also a string of cars about to pass by in which, I knew, at least one would stop and help me up. I mean, who drives by a bleeding girl with tears streaming down her face?
Um... apparently everyone.
I soon realized no one was stopping and my heart broke. Who sees that and keeps driving? I ended up pulling myself to standing and hobbling in the nearest door. It was a local chocolate shop with the sweetest employee who dropped everything and helped me to a chair. She ran to get items from their first aid kit, offered me water and chocolates and chatted with me to help me calm down. I'm sure the embarrassment combined with the fact my pants were trash led to why I was crying, but in my heart of hearts, I knew it was pure disappointment in the community. It wasn't like I expected people to jump out and rush me to the hospital, but a nice "are you ok?" would have sufficed.
After I hobbled home, I patched up what I could and cried some more. A lot. It was odd how hard cried but I couldn't shake how mad I was at everyone who passed by. With words of encouragement from friends, and neosporin on the wounds, it was back to work for me. Derek did swimming lessons with Drew as I knew I couldn't handle the chlorine-on-an-open-gash pain and tylenol has helped somewhat. Thankfully, my friend McWhiskey also decided to join the pity party and is currently taking away all of my pain as I type this post. Sometimes he's all I need in life.
And now, the battle wounds. Rated PG-13.
Much worse than in 2009 wouldn't you say? Stupid clumsiness.
Personal plea: If you see a runner fall, please pull over and make sure they are ok. It's just common courtesy people.

Oooh girl, I am SO SORRY! That's awful :(
ReplyDeleteOh no! I hope you feel better. :( I thought people rushed to help in this kind of situation...I'm surprised no one stopped to help! Those people are sowing bad seeds. Take it easy, girlie.
ReplyDeleteXOXO,
Meredith
Sad face! Booooo. I'm sure sorry. I hope you mend quickly.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree that busting my teeth out is my first fear too.
Oh my gosh!! I feel your pain. I have a wicked nasty fear of taking teeth out on a fall. (It could stem from falling down stairs a few times...) I am always afraid ill hurt myself on a run. I'm so glad to are you're ok.
ReplyDeleteHow AWFUL! Who raised those people!!? You see someone hurt, you pull your ass over and AT LEAST ask if they are alright! Omg..this made me tear up for you! Glad McWhiskey was a good friend lol
ReplyDeleteooh that sucks. there was this one time I was getting onto a city bus and I fell. I saw this guy come running towards me and I thought he was going to help me up, but he was actually just running to make the bus. ugh! people.
ReplyDelete:( Ouch!!!!! I can't believe no one stopped, that's just awful. I hope you feel better.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, that is horrible that no one stopped. I teared up just reading that! What is wrong with people?! I'm so sorry!!
ReplyDeleteOuch, that looks painful! I am shocked not one person stopped to make sure you were fine, ugh. People these days are so rude. Glad that the lady in the chocolate shop was such a great help though!
ReplyDeleteOuch!! And doesn't that make me mad that nobody stopped. It's so very rude and inconsiderate of people. Glad the lady at the shop was able to help you though. Feel better!!!
ReplyDeleteSo sad no one stopped, or at least pulled over to make sure you were ok. :(
ReplyDeleteHats off to the chocolate shop employees for being so kind.
Oh no! Sometimes, I feel like when you fall and get wounds like that as an adult, it hurts more and is harder to brush off than when it happened as children. I'm glad the woman at the chocolate shop was so kind to you!
ReplyDeleteOuch! Glad the chocolate shop gal made up for the meanies that drove past you!
ReplyDeleteYay for sweet chocolate shop employees . . . Boo for uncourteous passerby's!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness :( mean people. Glad you didn't have anything more serious. When you were talking about the fear of your teeth, my MIL had a bad fall running and it cost her $20,000 in bills to the dentist!
ReplyDeleteStupid people. I've always been weary about assisting strangers as a woman since I was once duped and almost robbed (long story), but even after all that, had I seen you falling or on the sidewalk with blood and tears, I would have stopped. Gah.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh - i can't believe this!! At least it makes for a good story?? ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're okay! I'm disappointed nobody stopped too. I like to think that I would have. This is a good reminder.
ReplyDeleteWhatever happened to good samaritans??! I'm glad you are okay and your injuries were not worst (like getting your teeth knocked out). :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry no one stopped to help! So much is wrong with our world, and people being to busy/careless to help sure doesn't make it any better. :(
ReplyDeleteGinny
mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com
Ouch :( I feel like good samaritans are hard to find...people are too busy rushing to wherever they need to be to stop and help. Hope you heal up quickly!
ReplyDeleteI've fallen twice while running. Once in the dark in my neighborhood and I was glad no one saw me. The second time was during the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I feel as they were saying, "Watch out for the speed bump". Thankfully lots of people offered to help then.
Awww! I can't believe no one stopped to help you! That makes me so sad! Hope you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your okay! My heart hurts for all those who didn't stop to love on you! It's just proof they don't have the love of Jesus within them.
ReplyDeleteOuch! :( I'm sorry no one stopped by to help you. At least the lady from the chocolate shop was nice and offered to help. And the positive side, you didn't knock out your teeth! I have the same fear! Followed you :)
ReplyDeleteGoodness girl. Hope you're feeling better!
ReplyDeleteoh, sorry Sarah! I know there are nice people out there. I am glad you are doing ok. Thank you for stopping by on my blog. I am your new follower.
ReplyDeleteOMG this happened to me about a month and a half ago! I was running with my dogs and fell and scraped my knee just like yours. My hands were scratched, but not bleeding and not a single person stopped to ask if I was ok. I was shocked and so sad. I seriously know exactly how to feel! If I saw someone completely fall I would pull over and ask if they are ok! The worst part was that I didn't have my phone (lesson learned) so I had to pick myself up and walk home crying. I walked into our front door and just completely lost it. My husband was so confused! Then the next day I could barely walk because I strained my calf muscle in my fall. It was a disaster! So glad you're ok!!!
ReplyDeleteOuch you poor thing!!!!!! I am so sorry no one stopped!
ReplyDeleteI hope that you are feeling better soon!
Yikes! First of all, I'm glad you're OK and glad you found someone to help you out. Second of all, people stink sometimes. I think we're all so wrapped up in our own stuff that we don't even see what's going on around us. At least you can be one of the people who helps and, hopefully, lots of other people will be too after reading this.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! So glad to hear your ok...and it looks like you wear your battle wounds proudly! xoxo
ReplyDeleteOooooow! Glad you're ok and I am 10000% with you on the teeth thing, both for myself and my kid. Every single time B falls on his face (which is a lot) I just pray there are no tooth injuries. I thought I was being crazy to worry about it but recently my 2.5 year old nephew fell and knocked out his tooth. AAAH!
ReplyDeleteOuchie!! Yikes, that looks painful. Sorry about the cold shoulder experience too. That broke my heart as well. I'm a runner too, so I totally understand. There are times I just yell encouragement out the window when I pass fellow runners. They probably think I'm lazy. lol. Glad you didn't knock out your tooth!! (My sister did that!)
ReplyDeleteMy GOODNESS, girl! That looks seriously painful! And I'm so sorry that no one stopped -- that's ridiculous! It reminds me of my first car accident. I ran into a cement barricade, no other cars involved. Seriously -- one person stepped outside, nonchalantly asked if I was okay, like they were asking if the sky was blue, and went back to work. But because it was my hometown, and a small gossipy town at that, there were stories floating around that I was texting while driving, etc. People can be downright RUDE sometimes!!
ReplyDeleteAGHHH i'm so sorry that happened to you!! feel better soon!!!
ReplyDeleteOH NO! Super sorry - that sucks when it happens!
ReplyDeleteouch Ouch OUCH!!! I'm so glad that they employee was at least super nice to you!
ReplyDeleteSaw this on your IG and I couldn't believe people didn't stop. But I totally just laughed out loud when I read "Um...apparently everyone." Only because this is exactly what I would say, and it would totally happen to me too.
ReplyDeletepoor girl! i will help a runner for sure now! and i love the "definitely will be blogging about this" part :)
ReplyDeleteAww... I'm so sorry! I know your pain! When I fell and sprained my ankle, I had NO one offer to help me. I literally had someone drive by me while I was sitting in the middle of the street crying because I was sure I couldn't get up. I'm still not sure how I got up and walked home. I hope you feel better soon! There are still good people out there, they're just hard to find sometimes!
ReplyDeleteOh sweety! That's so horrible!!! I'm so sorry you got hurt! This past summer I was riding a motor scooter and tipped it over (or, as I like to say, I got in a motorcycle accident). Like your situation, no one pulled over to help. One person briefly rolled down the window and asked if they needed me to call an ambulance but drove off as soon as I said I didn't need them to. I don't know why others wouldn't stop if they see a girl (or guy) bloody on the side of the road. I hope you heal up soon, dear!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry. That looks so painful!! Hope you are feeling better today!
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing!!! I am sorry this happened! :( I hope you heal up soon!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!! I cannot believe no one stopped to help you! What asshats. Geez, it's a good thing no one ran over you while you were down too. I hope you're feeling better. McWhiskey is a very very good friend! Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteOh my, how did you get your face? You poor thing! Scrapes hurt so dang bad, I would have cried too. Hope it feels better today.
ReplyDeleteEeek! I'm so sorry about your fall! I'm glad you didn't knock out any teeth either. I have a weird fear about that too!
ReplyDeleteOh no! That looks like it hurt. I hope you're feeling better.
ReplyDeleteOMG, hun! That looks AWFUL!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember a spill I took the first year I was running (pre-blog) - to this day, I have no clue what I tripped on...all I remember is landing on my face and skidding along the pavement...and then looking around quickly to make sure no one saw (beauty of 6am in a teeny town). I wasn't banged up as bad a s you - just a bruise and a scrape on my face but with wounds like yours someone should have stopped! At least the chocolate shop girl reacted appropriately (especially the choco part)
Hope it heals up quickly for you!
that really stinks. the other day i took a fall out of my front door onto the concret patio. and there was this man walking by and he yelled "are you okay?!" and i said yeah. granted he was still walking but it was still nice.
ReplyDeleteOhmygosh! I'm so sorry and I would have cried at no one stopping either. I had something similar happen and I was more upset at not having anyone help me than I was in anything else.
ReplyDeletewell that's just sad nobody stopped to help. I've decided to be more engaged with people and my surroundings and make an extra effort to just...be aware of what's going on. Make casual conversation with strangers. Make an effort to look at people and see what is happening around me. If I had been there...I hope I would have stopped. Glad you came by my blog today and I am happy I popped into yours.
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to meet you! I can't believe how inconsiderate some people can be; it's shocking! Of everything you described, the hardest thing for me, too, would have been the disappointment and disbelief at this lack of empathy. But then, there's that ONE sweet person, who doted on you, offering you help, food and comfort! I guess for me, what's consoling is that at least I know that I would have been part of this minority! Hope you're feeling better!
Thanks for stopping by my place!
Poppy :)
Oh goodness!! I am glad you are ok! I have to admit something...your first thought listed as you were falling, well, that is my silly greatest fear too! I am slightly obsessed with keeping my teeth safe. :) So while I am so happy you are not greatly injured, I am ecstatic that your teeth are safe and whole ;)
ReplyDeleteJaniene
I also have a weird thing about my teeth! I think about it all of the time. What happens if you lose adult teeth? A lifetime of dentures? I honestly have no idea.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I would NEVER drive by someone crying on the side of the road. We keep hearing in the news about heroes and people who run at danger, so I have to hope maybe some of them didn't see you? I'm so sorry for your pain. I would have helped you and had my cute kids (also in the car) make you laugh to feel better.
Oh my goodness that is some serious battle wounds! Hope you are healing up nicely!
ReplyDeleteWow. Some people. :((
ReplyDeleteOk I found your blog, lol. Oh no!! Sorry you fell. Glad it wasn't worse though. I have to ask how you run on your lunch break, or - what type of job do you have? Can you go back sweaty and it's no biggie? Lol I work in an office which is conveniently located right next to, practically on top of, the trail I run on. I often think about bringing sneakers and just walking for 2 miles on my lunch. Love your blog - going to read more :)
ReplyDeleteRachel
http://rachandsaro.blogspot.com
That's terrible! IIIIIIIII would have helped you... promise you that!
ReplyDeleteAnd you live in KC? I'm in Iowa... were like neighbors! Not alot of midwest bloggers so I love finding them!
and we have a dog named Bailey too.
BFF Blog buddies say what?!
omigosh you poor thing!!!! i am a runner and totally know what you mean!!!! people should really be more sympathetic to stop and help! hope you are healing okay!!
ReplyDeleteyikes!! those are some fierce wounds!! I can't believe people would just keep on driving while you're down & obviously injured! hope you're healing well :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, that's awful! I hope you healed quickly!
ReplyDelete