Although I hope and pray she never has to have another surgery in her lifetime, the reality of childhood broken bones or other accidental injuries is inevitable. Although relatively minor compared to others, getting ear tubes is still considered a 'surgery' with an anesthesiologist and a full staff of doctors and nurses. I know tons of people who have gone through MAJOR surgery and realize that this is quick and minor, but it's still surgery. They still have to put my daughter to sleep for a bit and I was still a nervous wreck in the waiting room. I mean, this is my child and therefore it wasn't "minor" in my mind.
On to the recap.
So we left our house around 5:30am on Thursday morning. A neighborhood girl came over to sleep on our couch for a bit until Drew woke up, give him breakfast and play until we got home. The surgery was scheduled for 7:30am and we were taken back to the pre-op area around 6:40. We were asked TONS of questions by nurses and doctors and went over how everything works 19 times.
After Ady flirted with all the doctors for a while, they brought her a tiny little gown and had her get dressed.
I opted to go back with her and hold her during the anesthesia part knowing she would do better if mommy was holding her. That means I had to wear a full body suit of scrubs too!
Then it was time to go back. I carried her down the hall and into a huge, white operating room. There were about 5 nurses and doctors and they had me sit in a chair and hold Ady. A gas mask was quickly put on and the nurse began a conversation with me about Ady's tan legs and vacation. It was obviously to keep my mind away from the fact that she was squirming while I held her down and I have to admit, it kinda worked. I was ok until she went limp and I had to hand her over. Having a limp child in your arms and leaving them lying on this cold operating table ATE me up.
I was escorted back to Derek and then out to the waiting room with him. When people say this procedure is quick, it DEFINITELY is. I went to the bathroom, opened my granola bar and the ENT literally was walking into the waiting room. We were then taken back to the post-op recovery area where she was being held by a super sweet nurse. She wasn't crying a bit and was more awake than I had imagined she would be.
She was super snuggly for a bit, then enjoyed a bottle followed by some puffs.
There was another 11month old having her tubes done that morning and she was screaming and crying for a bit. Ady was hamming it up with the nurses right after surgery and everyone kept saying how well she did. Except for the few tears when the gas mask went on, my little angel didn't make another peep. We were told she would be groggy for a while, but she was pretty much back to normal right after the surgery. We went to the pool that afternoon, she took a great nap and we felt so good about our decision to move forward with tubes.
So far there haven't been any noticeable changes other than she does make even more noise sounds than she did before. The ENT said noises won't sound muffled to her anymore so she might 'explore' her voice a bit more. Either way, I'm glad this is behind us and we won't have to be at the doctors every couple of weeks with ear infections!!!
aww she did so wonderfully! I would be a mess no matter how big or small the surgery for sure. It is always scary when it your own little baby. That tiny gown is both adorable and sad all at the same time.
ReplyDeleteSurgery in any aspect is scary, so I'm right there with you. I'm so glad it went well and that she was back to her normal self so quickly. I have so much respect for parents with sick kids and have to be in the hospital all the time.
ReplyDeleteAs a surgery vet, all surgery is scary surgery so I totally understand your emotions and experience. When Alex got his tubes done, I was there when they put him under too and it was SO HARD. With his other surgeries, we weren't allowed to be there because they were considered "major surgeries" and handing him off wide awake was just as hard.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to hear Ady was a rock start coming out of anesthesia. Alex has come out great a few times and horrible a few times. And it is heart-wrenching.
As you know, Alex goes back in September to get his tubes done again (and potential adnoidectomy), and although we've been there/done that, it doesn't make it ANY easier.
And seriously - both you ladies sure pull off the hospital gown/scrubs look. ;)
Awww, she handled it all like a champ.
ReplyDeleteMarcus had a minor (and totally common) surgery when he was about 11 months old, and the whole going limp part is the worst.
So glad things are already shaping up so well with the tubes!
We have done tubes twice now and it is still scary. So worth it though.
ReplyDeleteI got chills reading about the limp baby part. That was by far the worst part for me. You just never want to know that feeling, medically induced or not.
Glad she is well. I hope they work as well for Ady as they did for Avery.
Poor girl! Glad things went well and she is adapting to them :) We dealt with way too many ear infections when Xavier was a baby, but they never had us get tubes. Fingers crossed he has grown out of it now.
ReplyDeleteRightfully so any surgery would be scary as a parent. I'm glad it was very quick and she bounced back as well as she did.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad all went well. Is it sad that I had tears in my eyes reading this and seeing the pictures?! Because you are so right, it does NOT matter how small of a surgery it was. I would have been crying my eyes out knowing my baby was put under. Way to stay strong!! You rock!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it went well.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad everything went well. Bless her and bless you.
ReplyDeleteOh man this brings back memories about Tate. He was a crier after, which they told us most kids are. That wasn't too hard for me since they warned me ahead of time - said it was side effect of the meds. But them taking him away (in that gawdawful gown!) was so hard on this mommy's heart. They wouldn't let me go back w/ him like you could, that stunk! So, you lucked out in many areas w/ Ady! And she looks darn adorable in that gown! :) Oh, and you're right - it's still a scary surgery no matter how 'simple'.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that it all went well, sending hugs!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that everything went well with lil Miss Ady. & what a strong lil lady! Goodness! I get upset when I have to get my teeth cleaned. Ha!
ReplyDeleteMandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/
Oh my! Nomatter what kind of surgery it is she's still your baby, so it would be hard. I know I would struggle. I'm so glad she did so well and is her normal sweet little self.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear it went so smoothly!
ReplyDelete