You'd think a city with long, cold winters would have tons of indoor playgrounds right? Well, apparently we don't. The nearest ones I could find were all 20+ min away, but with an entire day open, we plugged in an address on the Garmin and away we went.
I love watching kids at indoor playgrounds. Not in the creepy way, more in the amazement way of how different little ones can be. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that there 3 basic types of personalities that come out at these playgrounds.
A) The Hyenas
These are the crazy kids who can't even contain themselves enough to get their jackets off before sprinting to the nearest inflatable, knocking small children over along the way. Parental hyneas are generally on their cell phones 95% of the time and not concerned with the fact that their cubs just pushed a deer off the slide.
B) The Deer
These are the polite children that were taught manners of how to wait in line although their insides are bursting with excitement. They listen to their parents and mind rules but if you cross them or cut in line, they snap and will run for adult help faster than you can blink.
C) The Turtles
These are the kids who walk in tentatively, studying their surroundings and making conscious decisions before considering what to play with first. They don't over-excite and prefer not to get involved with the Hyenas, but can outsmart one any day of the week.
Any guesses on what Drew is?
If you guessed turtle, you're definitely an observant follower! Yep, my little guy is a one mellow man who's already showing major signs of being an introvert. I would have considered myself growing up to be a deer, but Derek was also more of a turtle. These two pees in a pod prefer to sit back and watch the craziness while finding an activity off where there wasn't a lot of fuss going on. Or at least solo activities like skeeball.
I consider Drew to be a very social baby, but a daredevil? Absolutely not. He's not one of those kids who will try anything and we had to bribe him for quite some time before he entered an inflatable bounce house, only to take one lap and nearly throw himself out.
The epitome of our time at the playground today was about 40 minutes in when someone spotted a train table. 20,000 square feet of inflatable fun surrounded by arcades, rides, slides and other money-sucking games and my little guy heads straight for the one activity where you sit and ponder. The one activity where brains overpower brawn.
And this momma couldn't be more proud. My little turtle might not be the fastest toddler on the playground, or the most nimble, but in a battle of the brains, I think he'd be tough competition.


He is so cute and looks like he is having a really good time. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy for kids to get overwhelmed when there are so many options to choose from. It looks like your little man handled it with ease though and had a great time!
ReplyDeleteI think my kids are both a mix between deer and hyenas. They would love to be hyenas and just run amuck, but then remember "Oh yeah, Mommy & Daddy told me to slow down and follow the rules!". And while sometimes they get caught up in the moment and do go a little crazy from time to time, they normally remember their manners.
Sarah, you jumped over to my blog back in December and I've been following yours ever since. I'm just not that greatest at posting comments-sorry! I'm trying to get better. Anyways, I absolutely love this post. Our little guy sounds so much like Drew. He is definitely a turtle. No question. He gets a bit overwhelmed with lots of things going on and always heads straight for the "mind games." He's such a lovable little boy but is definitely showing signs of being an introvert too.
ReplyDeleteahhh...warms the cockles of poppa's heart that he gravitates to the train sets! perhaps one day he will build a model rr with is grandfather! that would be hard telling who would enjoy that more! lol
ReplyDeleteJust love your commentary of the different types of children. And it's so sweet that Drew is a turtle. I really can't tell where Tay stands right now (probably somewhere between a deer and a turtle), but it sure interesting to think about the next time she's in a social setting.
ReplyDeleteI may add that I was at a baby shower a few weeks back with Tay and there was a definite hyena there (and a hyena parent) and it was driving me absolutely bonkers. I finally had it when this hyena cub went over and pushed Tay to the ground and her mom did nothing. What are these parents thinking???
DeleteHow cute he went to the train table!!!!! He seems sooooo sweet!!!
ReplyDeleteAvery is a deer for sure. She isnt mean to other kids but the part about the jacket mot coming off before hitting the playground is all her!
This is great. I am definitely a deer, but I have much respect for turtles, too. No love for hyenas or their parents, though. They need to go on home.
ReplyDeleteHa ha - Erika's so right. Those hyenas need to go home. They tend to ruin things for all the deer and turtles out there!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo cute!! Enjoy your 3-day weekend!!!
ReplyDeletehttp://herestohappinesses.blogspot.com/
We took my 5 yo nephew top one of these and he is veryu much the deer run over by hyenas. As he got more comfortable he had a blast
ReplyDeleteHi-thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog regarding the hail.I thought i would pop over and check out your blog and I love it.I am a new follower now-Your son is soooo cute-talk later-love dee x
ReplyDeletei love your observations especially of the descriptions of children at the park, i will teach my children not to be a hyena, hyena children clearly are wanting their parents to pay attention to them so parents get off your phone and be present with your children
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah ..From your newest follower !!!! I love your beautiful blog and spirit.. I look forward to following along in your journey . YOUR family is just beautiful and so is your spirit.. Thanks for stopping by The Rusty Pearl .. Follow along I would love it .. HUGS .....................Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl
ReplyDeleteWE love our indoor playground, especially in the winter because the weather in Ohio sucks. I have a very very energetic turtle :)
ReplyDeletehannah