2.24.2013

Bottomless Pit

What's funny is that when I thought of that title to this post, I immediately wondered what was in our kitchen that I could go snack on. GoodLAWD I do not have self control when it comes to food. I seriously believe I'll have to continue using My Fitness Pal until I'm 87 years old thanks to my slow metabolism and constant hunger.

But back to the original reason I started this post; our bottomless pit, a.k.a. Drew. This kid is by far the opposite of so many picky toddler eaters I hear about. It's funny when I see other blogs discuss "typical toddler" and their bad eating habits. Unlike his peers, Drew is quite the endless appetite these days. In fact, if he isn't hungry, we know he's sick and we're about 7 for 7 with that pattern.

It might be a growth spurt, sure. But it might also be that his daddy and I fought being overweight or "husky", as Derek says, for the majority of our lives. It's in our DNA. We weren't blessed with the ability to eat whatever we want and not gain anything. In fact, I can just look at a cookie and feel like I gained 2 pounds. Thankfully, my running has curbed my weight and Derek has to stay fit for his job. Drew, on the other hand, doesn't understand portions and is constantly begging for food.

For example: we'll finish with our Einstein bagels and head towards the car when 3 seconds later he starts asking for a 'snack'. Or he'll eat a HUGE plate for dinner and ask for seconds and thirds of everything on there. Memories of some TLC show where a 7 year old is 185 pounds start popping into my head as I quickly try to wipe his hands and get him away from the table. I don't want our baby to fall victim to the childhood obesity epidemic and you can bet your a$$ I won't be an enabler on that front. Derek and I are trying really hard to keep snacking to a minimum and load up his meals with healthy fruits and veggies. And the good news is that he loves most fruits and veggies!

I'm sure others with picky eaters might rather be in our situation so please don't read this as I'm complaining in any way. It's not a bad position to be in at all, more just cracks me up that he loves food as much as we do. I mean, he's a 6th of Derek's size, yet eats only half as much as him. Crazy, right?




28 comments:

  1. Mace is only 8 months old, but he is definitely NOT a picky eater (yet) either. He gobbles up everything we give him, and I am already fearing if he doesn't grow a couple inches soon, his tummy is NEVER going to even itself out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's so good that he likes to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me jealous! Zachy is one of those picky eaters or "non eaters". I hope that changes as he gets older:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand your concern because my friend's daughter was exactly like that. Though there are times I wish avery had that problem!

    by the way I would have never guessed you or derek wre husky! !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you just MADE my day! Thanks for saying that, but it's definitely something we'll battle forever!

      Delete
  5. Leland is a bottomless pit as well. Tonight at dinner, my husband said, "That seems like a lot of food." He was worried it might go to waste. Oh no, the kid definitely ate it all, and probably could have eaten more, but I knew he was getting his bottle soon, so I didn't give him more (he can't ask for more yet, so he's kind of done when I say he's done). Sometimes, he eats more than I do! I've been told to just make sure he eats a lot of good fats and proteins: avocado, quinoa(sp?), kale, etc. Some things aren't typically in our diet, but I'm going to start adding them.

    And I totally would have never guessed that either of you were "husky." You both look very fit and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, there is no WAY that you two were ever anything NEAR 'husky'. I wouldn't worry too much about Drew's weight at this point in his life, as long as you're feeding him healthy snacks and he's active, he won't have a huge problem. I think these over-weight toddler/kid horror stories are the product of parents handing kids cookies and chips and horrible junk food and never limiting them in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You husky?! Well if you've dealt with such issues, you are handling them lady! Way to go and way to be concerned with Drew's health. :) I have one of each with my daughters.. 4 yr old eats next to nothing (has always been that way) and 21 month old eats EVERYTHINGANDANYTHING. I worry about it a lot actually.. And attempting to teach the younger one healthy habits and portion control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found myself saying I wish my kid wasn't such a good eater sometimes because she is ALWAYS eating all of her food then moving on to mine! I swear she is the reason I have lost so much weight. She eats all of my food! I myself also have no control when it comes to food. I LOVE food. I enjoy food. Now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Max and Claire are big eaters, too. Max is picky and I still feel like he asks for snacks ALL.Day.Long. and I'm the same way... I look at a cookie and put on pounds and if I eat it, put on even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids are both big eaters. One is picky though and eats the same stuff over and over. When either kid gets to asking for more food, we always try to offer up fruit. I feel like I would rather have them eating as much fruit as they want rather than 10 dinosaur chicken nuggets in a sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just like you, I have zero self control. I give into just about every craving/impulse I get but the problem is I do nothing about trying to shed the calories!

    I cannot imagine you even the utmost "husky"! Impossible.

    And I think that's great that you're so concerned with Drew's future weight. It's important to start the healthy stuff now to establish a life long positive relationship with food and exercise. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First thing you do not like the slightest bit "husky" i'm calling bullshit. haha
    & i can completely relate to wanting to eat everything in sight lately. I never had a problem with self control pre baby :( & I have to agree that I worry about Carter and what he eats, but boy does he burn off a record amount of calories. he.is.always.moving. I wouldn't worry as long its healthy stuff, i think its just a normal mom "what if" thank reality tv for that. lol

    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boys are the same way. We joke all the time that it is going to be impossible to keep them full when they are teenagers. We will go broke! I wouldn't worry too much about him over eating- think of all the calories playing burns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you are doing all the right things ... And your Drew looks so healthy which is the most important thing!! And I agree with everyone else ... There is no way you were ever husky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one with a bottomless pit. Seriously. I eat, like, every two hours. The PROBLEM with that is...my metabolism came to a COMPLETE halt when I turned 31 recently. :(

    And, my children are such picky eaters that I'm CONSTANTLY offering them food - or preparing food only for them not to eat it. I spin my wheels a lot and often feel like a short-order cook. I know that neither of our problems are fun, though.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is amazing how much they can eat for such little bodies. I think since their metabolism is so high, and they use so much energy, that the food amount isn't too bad. My 2 year old is constantly hungry these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome is it that he is not a picky eater!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My girls are like this too! Luckily Brielle is naturally petite, but we have to keep an eye on Raya who's naturally "husky " ;-) Luckily at this age they still run around a lot...we can often get away with apples and peanut butter "dip" as a snack which helps. They would prefer to eat cereal every 10 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Having a typical picky eater, I've been excited to see Tay clear her plates the past few nights in a row. But I think it's great that you are concerned with his eating habits and as long as he is mowing down on fruits and veggies, I think you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) Right now Marcus eats all the time, but he's so picky. I try to get away with feeding him what we have at meals, but most days I have to revert back to the few things he'll actually eat. Ugh.
    2) I have such a hard time believing you were ever "husky!" No.Way.
    3) The first of those three pictures Drew looks SO MUCH like you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that last picture! It looks like he's saying, "Mom! You are interrupting my eating! Back off!"

    My toddler is definitely picky but that doesn't mean she doesn't like to eat. It just means she'll barely eat any dinner and then immediately ask for a snack! Thankfully she likes carrots so that's what she gets more often than not, but still, ingraining good eating habits is hard! (Said while I eat Reeses Pieces)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am jealous of your bottomless pit! He looks like an adorbale healthy & growing boy to me. I have the textbook picky eater. There are some days when I question how V can survive on a slice of cheese?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hayes is the same way! Chris and I are not small people. Hopefully he will not be as chubby as us though! haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. My son was like that as a baby and is now at 23 (next month) still eats TONS and is a bean pole. 6'2" and maybe 140 soaking wet. I think your little "pit" looks happy and healthy. Being aware of healthy foods and intake is a HUGE plus, your a good mama.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is both of my kids! Especially my oldest -- at three, she will eat her dinner and less than five minutes later, ask for a snack. She is starting to level off, and now uses the snack line on nights when she hasnt eaten much dinner because she didnt care for it. Those are the nights I dont give in. But I usually indulge their want for more food: whether its a chobani champions yogurt, some cheese cubes and crackers, a few pieces of dry cereal, fruit or a 90 calorie granola bar. At least then Im giving them the opportunity to independently choose what they want without having to worry about all the calories or sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha he is so cute! It sounds like you are doing a great job of making sure he eats healthy so don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by my blog! My son is a bottomless pit as well haha he just wants to eat and snack all day long!

    xo
    alyciamealy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete