2.28.2013

28 Days of Love; Last Acts & Final Thoughts


As February comes to a close, I'm proud to say that I completed everything on my list (below) with only one replacement. Unfortunately, it didn't work out babysitting our friend's kid, so instead I sent one of my besties a surprise gift! Or I could have replaced it with letting the random, adorable 85 year old man tell me me all about his family for 10 minutes and show me 18 pictures in the grocery store. It was cute. 



My final five acts from this week: 
1. Filled the coffee and snack machines with quarters at the gym.
2. Paid for the persons order behind me at the 'Bucks.
3. Take a bouquet of flowers to the hospital for the nurses to give a patient. (I chose the elderly neurological wing figuring there had to be an old person there who needed something to brighten up their day!)
4. Smile at every person I made eye contact with for a day all weekend. 
5. Took quizzes on 4 sites that donate food/money to 3rd world countries.


Total Cost: $165 
(but $75 of that was splurged to adopt a rhino at the zoo!)
People Effected: TONS!
Lives Changed Forever: Definitely one at least.  :)


Final Thoughts
Warning: The rest of this post might be a bit boring to some as I look back on this challenge. It's more for my memories than anything.  :)

What started out as a small, fun idea ended up being an eye-opening, life-changing challenge for me. I never realized the tiniest actions could warrant such huge reactions nor did I fathom they could bring me to tears and humble me more than I could have ever imagined.

I created and spent a lot of time putting together my list of acts the last week of January and couldn't wait to get started in February. I have to admit, I jumped the gun on a couple of them as I just couldn't wait. One of the first acts I did was one that I absolutely adored the most. I was filled with energy when I took each crossing guard a hot coffee on that freezing morning. The excitement as I drove up to each of them was beyond words and the reactions I received when I told them to stay warm and thanks for watching over our children was priceless. With their smiles in my mind and the adrenaline speeding through my body, I had one of the best treadmill runs in a long time that morning.

But the day I went shopping at the Dollar Store to collect items for a few acts was a low point for me. It absolutely broke my heart to buy the cheapest of toothbrushes and realize that there were families in our community that could not afford them. It pained me to limit my purchases as I wanted to gather every single item off the shelf and take it to the homeless shelter. When I got home, I broke down to Derek. We stress over the silliest decisions for our children; what outfit to wear for the photo shoot or which color Stride Rite shoes look the best, yet I was buying soap for families who have nothing. Soap. That shopping trip was an unbelievably humbling experience for me and I'll never forget it.

My mailman loved the hand-warmers and the nurses in the maternity ward were so excited for my basket of snacks, but in the end, they weren't the ones to benefit the most. Nope. It's the person who never realized how much manly firefighters would love cupcakes or how much the food pantry would appreciate just a couple bags of food. I now yearn to win the lottery only so that I can do bigger acts. Knowing I probably will never win, I still plan to continue doing random acts throughout my life definitely on a monthly basis, but hopefully on a weekly basis.

Can you imagine how much different this world would be if we all did one random act of kindness a month? It gives me chills just thinking about it. There's so much we can do that doesn't involve a single penny and takes 5 minutes of our time, yet can really warrant a smile or touch a heart. Is there anything better than knowing you made someones day?


22 comments:

  1. You are awesome! Inspired me to do more :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list, month, thing to do. I think this is a great thing to share with Drew as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful things you did, you are a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - this is such an amazing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a little teary eyed. So proud of all the RAKs. It's amazing how much one can grow from an experience like this. I hope you inspire others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list! I don't know which is my favorite. I love the idea of taping money to the coffee machine and bringing cupcakes to the firefighters. Way to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing! I've always been a true believer that random acts of kindness can completely change our world. On Valentine's Day, Jeremy and I choose to pay for the dinner of a couple with a newborn sitting a few tables over from us just because we know exactly what it's like to do everything you can to keep that spark alive in your marriage (especially right after a new baby) and the look on their faces when they found out (we remained anonymous) was just priceless. It is by far one of my favorite Valentine's Day memories. Life is what each of us make it, not only for ourselves, but for those who surround us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, so wonderful. As I sit right now, we are facing a 40% pay cut tomorrow with the sequestration so ANYthing that costs money is not possible for us...but I will remember this for when our financial crisis passes. I just love it, I really really do. This is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for reminding us how much we need to get over our "problems" and focus on helping others!! I will certainly take a lesson from you, sweet friend.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. love! thank you for being my inspiration! i can relate to the dollar store experience, that's what got me started on this in the first place. we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for sticking it out and actually enjoying crossing off everything on the list! I could see how some would get bogged down thinking they had yet another "thing" to do, but you really embraced it and got a lot out of the month of events. I know it sure got me thinking what I can do to better someone else's day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of your 28 days because I think then it just instills that in so many others and inspires them to do these things every day.....as part of their every day lives. Because this is how we should all be living! NIce work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing example of someone looking beyond themselves to see the world around them. I wish I had seen this post at the beginning of February! I can't wait to try this!

    Jordan

    www.lilpasteeaters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much!! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe you did all of that, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an awesome thing you did! What a wonderful example to set for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is so cool and such an awesome idea!! Thank you for the comment about my sweet boy! I tried to e-mail you back, but I'm glad that I came to your blog instead. I am now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So inspiring! You have motivated me! Here I am now living in a foreign country with an economic crisis...how can I be more of a blessing? Thank you.
    xo
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have been reading about this random kindness act with great interest.I a going to try and give it a try,my little boy had a teddy bear pinic morning tea at school and were told to bring in "t" word food suchas teddy buscuits.So I packed a little pack in his lunch box for him and also gave the teacher a large box of them so each child would have some and not feel bad-sounds little and weird but it made me feel good-one down more to go -love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great way to open up our world and look beyond ourselves. Isn't interesting how serving others bring so much peace and joy and thankfulness to our own lives? Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing thing to do! Seriously, I'm blown away by how thoughtful you are. You've inspired me to try this.

    Your newest follower,
    xo Ami
    a champagne dream

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing list!!! This inspires me so much! Thank you for visiting my blog last week from Kelly's Korner's link up! I'm the one that did an older "day in the life!"

    ReplyDelete