7.29.2011

First Swimming Lessons!

My parents chose to put my brother and me in swimming lessons from a very early age and because of that, we have always had an exceptional fondness for water and are excellent swimmers. I spent many summers working at pools, mostly life guarding but occasionally working a concession stand in the early years. I knew I wanted to raise a little fish myself and so we are starting Drew in swim lessons at a young age. This first class is more about kicking and getting used to the water, but I hope it will help Drew to love water like we do and have no fear around pools.

We are very proud to say that he did absolutely wonderful! He blew bubbles (well he watched me do that at least), he reached for ducks, he "jumped" off the side and floated in a life jacket and on his tummy on a kickboard. He really quite enjoyed the entire experience we think, but I am a bit worried about next week when we he gets dunked. Fingers crossed that doesn't scare the poop out of him!

You can see below that he was a bit apprehensive before we got in, but then was all smiles by the time class was over! Also, if you look closely on the lower left picture, he was kicking so much that we couldn't get a clear shot!
(Sorry, again, for the horrible pictures. Had to use the 'ole trusty point and shoot digital camera because our DLSR is getting it's annual professional cleaning.)

This is a quick video of him going up and down into the water -


And the teacher kept getting in the way, but he enjoyed relaxing on his back in the life jacket -


Here's to our fish in the making!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This whole post makes me smile. I love that you have him in the pool already! Next week when you submerge him be sure to give a quick little blow in his face right before you have him go under. He'll suck in air right before he goes under, and that should eliminate swallowing a bunch of water :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Desiree! I knew you would have some good tips for me. Too bad you don't live in Cleveland and we could give Drew private lessons from the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't WAIT to take J swimming for the first time! Maybe next month?

    And I've heard that baby's can hold their breath under water, but it still makes me super nervous. Thanks for the "blow in their face" advice, dmacke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So precious! Sam started at 4 months and has loved it ever since. These are great ages to start because they have no fear yet. The first time under water was a big fear of mine, mostly because my sister and I were prone to ear infections when swimming. He wasn't thrilled with the first dunk, but he didn't scream! Our class always says the same thing before going under, "Ready...GO!" then they go under water. That saying is their prompt to suck in air and close their mouths. So you may try that, if they don't already do it in your class. Also, that teaches them as they get older to not get into the pool until an adult says "Ready GO!".
    Another thing, squeeze his nose and kind of pull down right after being under water, that will help get any water out of it.
    Have fun, can't wait to hear about the next class!

    ReplyDelete