This past Sunday we began Drew on rice cereal as part of his nightly bottle. This is definitely not an attempt to get him to sleep longer at night seeing as how he's already sleeping 11 hours! We did, however, want to start getting his body used to more 'solid' liquids as we plan to incorporate other pureed foods soon. Our pediatrician recommended that we only introduce one food at a time and wait 5 days in between so that we would be able to pinpoint a food allergy early if needed. I've also been told by a few mothers to not start with fruit. Apparently, babies tend to favor the sweetness if given fruits first, and then it's harder to get them to eat vegetables. And yes, I know. Every mom has an opinion on everything. Logically though, I think the sweets thing makes sense. Lord knows I already have a major sweet tooth!
The plan is to purchase a small processor this weekend so that I can make and freeze ahead of time. I LOVE reading Wholesome Baby Food and plan on following their ideas and suggestions.
If you have a food item that you'd recommend to give Drew, please send it my way! I love getting advice from other mother's and we're open to trying whatever!


"Baby Love" by Norah O'Donnell and Chef Geoff Tracy
ReplyDeleteLove the book and recipes are super easy. I made everything in the blender to be honest and bought 2 cheap ice cube trays. Let me know if you'd like to borrow the book and I can send it to you.
http://kansaspeaks.blogspot.com/2010/12/betty-crocker-that.html
My blog post about it.
As for other food, do whatever you want. Every time I talked to someone they did something different. Half the people I know didn't wait until 2 to try peanut butter.... To each her own. Just don't feel like the rules are set in stone... :0) Happy solids!
Growing up so fast! I was so intimidated by baby food when I started, but it is easy. I use a stick blender I already had and it works GREAT! I got stuck on lots of sweet potatoes, Sam loves them! We made applesauce once but it wasn't my favorite to make. I found organic applesauce at a local natural store and it just has organic apples and water so I buy that for his morning "applesauce and oatmeal" (I sing that to him every morning). Anyways, just go with what you think he will like and have fun with it. I have a feeling your little guy will not be a picky eater either ;)
ReplyDeleteHere are my sister's thoughts on making her own baby food for my niece: http://weeksofexperience.blogspot.com/search/label/babyfood
ReplyDeleteNow Ellen eats whatever they eat ... she's an A-Team eater! :)