I've already reflected on my thoughts of keeping things in perspective, but this seems to be a reoccurring word in my life lately. I have it printed and taped to my computer monitor as a daily reminder, but this week it hit home again. Dereks mom, "Mimi", is in town for a week to spend time with Drew. Derek and I have been able to see a movie together and we are excited for our anniversary dinner tomorrow night just as the two of us. (Yes, I realize we could hire babysitters from time to time, but I'm still at that nervous point where I'm not sure I trust sometime I don't know to watch my child.) Sure we have family in town this week, but there are some times when I really miss my friends and family and seem to dwell on how much more fun the summer activities up here would be if we had good friends to share it with. But then, the 'word of the summer' pops into my thoughts and I think about other situations we could be in. For instance; people with spouses/siblings/parents/children in the war. The fact that we have no one in our family fighting (and risking their life) in some foreign country flashes in my mind. The fact that I have a wonderful husband and a wonderful baby boy to actually do all of these activities with should be enough. It's all about perspective.
When I start to dread the coming winter already and it's not even fall yet, I need to keep the perspective. I need to really think about the cities that we could have ended up in. Sure Puerto Rico would have been nice weather, but would we have been safe? Would there even have been a decent daycare for Drew with quality teachers? Or Alaska. Ugh. We would probably see family even less than we have been simply due to flight costs to get up there. Oh yeah.... and then they have even MORE snow! We should be thankful we only have to deal with the cold and snow as opposed to those in other countries losing everything from floods, tsunami's and/or earthquakes. It's all about perspective.
Sometimes I would love to work in an office setting again where I could make some real relationships here in Ohio. To have happy hours and lunches with others would be nice, but keeping the perspective, I try to focus on the positive's. I don't have to dress up for work and can go on a run over my lunch break if I want. I definitely do miss those office gossip and pranks, but I should just be thankful and happy that I even have a job, let alone a job at a great company. It's all about perspective.In the end, I'm so thankful for what I have, and while typing this 87 more 'perspectives' pop into my head. I could go on and on about our situation and what I'm thankful for. My BFF and I always use the phrase 'the grass is always greener' and how natural it is for people to want what others have these days. Yes, people always have more, but there are TONS of people that have less and we need to count our blessings. And in all honesty, I would probably give up everything to live in a box with Derek and Drew. They are all I need in life. Period.
You are so right! Thanks for posting this...Happy Anniversary btw. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome post. I often have the same thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder. I get caught up all of the time in things I "need to do" and don't actually enjoy the present moment.
ReplyDelete