I have a boy.
And I have no filter.
Thus, a post about "it".
![]() |
| Drew and his BFF Jack |
Do we got with Weiner and him wonder someday why a company named a hot dog after that part?
Do we go with something human-ish, like "Hank", and ruin that name for any future friends named Hank he might meet?
Or maybe something original like Mr. Noodle and pray he still grows up to eat spaghetti?
Maybe just Pecker? ... but then we'd have to cross our fingers that no one ever says 'give her a peck on the cheek'.
So, I need help. I know TONS of you have little boys. What did you go with? I need help!
(FYI - if you don't feel comfortable commenting with what you call "it", just shoot me an email! ourjourneyblog08 at gmail dot com)



You know the song "where is thumbkin?" Well, my hubby's aunt was singing the whole song to her little boy and afterwards they went for a bathroom break. The middle finger is known as "Tall Man" in the song since it's the tallest finger and when Bobby (the little boy) whipped "it" out to pee, he said, "LOOK! There is Tall Man!" so it was kinda a joke from then on! ;)
ReplyDeleteI imagine this is a big decision - whether you've got a boy or girl - and I am all about calling things what the anatomical/correct name is for much of the reasons you stated above! I think we will go with the correct term for a girls "downstairs" ;) when the time comes just so there isn't any confusion. Yes, it's not really a toddler, cutesy word... but that's 110% okay with me.
haha this is hilarious, but it got me thinking as to what we'll help everton to call his little member. i'm half filipino so growing up we used filipino words for certain body parts. so for the male's anatomy we called it a, "pitoy."
ReplyDeleteI totally get this, even though we have a girl, I just call it by it's technical name. If she sees daddy in the shower and sees him naked I tell her that his "part" is called by the technical name. I kinda feel silly saying it out loud. But I own it and say it confidently so she will too. I was the kid who was (sometimes) teased for saying "tummy" or other "baby" terms in preschool/kinder/early elementary and I would hate for her to be teased as well. That's not why we go with the technical names, just another thing I was thinking about as I was typing it out. Go with what feel right!:-)
ReplyDeletewe tell Avery that hers is a JJ. I don't know what I would say for it. I guess maybe something along the lines of wee wee is what I would have done if I had a boy
ReplyDeleteI just realized that we do the same with my son. call it his "pee pee" or "Wee wee" but I think the funniest one I have heard is "piece." A friend of mines son called it his "piece." And I guess it really is! haha
ReplyDeleteI think we refer to it as a pee-pee for Natalie, but when she pee's we also call it pee-pee. I should just man up and call it what it is, but I think the female name is way more cringe worthy than penis. Just my opinion though!
ReplyDeleteMy son is 2 yrs old and when we go to change his diaper, he points to it and says wee-wee. And I'm fine with that. Maybe you can call it his private part? I'm sure whatever you decide won't ruin him for life. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI like the "private part" idea!
DeleteWe just call it a penis. My 7 year old prefers calling it a "weenie" because he learned that from my dad.
ReplyDeleteQuite honestly, I don't understand why it doesn't just get called Penis, always.
I don't have kids, but growing up, my mom always referred to things by their anatomical terms. This led to three-year-old me telling people in the grocery store that my mommy "had a baby in her uterus" when she was pregnant with my brother, but she didn't want me saying that it was in her belly because, well...he wasn't! I think the anatomical terms are always the best to go with... do they really need to be "cute"?
ReplyDeleteI'm currently pregnant with our first, a boy, and ya know I never even thought of this! Oh geeze I have a feeling there will be some things, such as this that I will leave to dad to figure out haha!
ReplyDeleteJust ask Taylor to say clock, or black, or chalk or socks or blocks. All of those sound like a name for "it".
ReplyDeleteTay has recently discovered her area in the tub and she has been exploring it (just like she did with ears and nose and belly button). I've been calling it by the real name "V..." but it does seem clinical. I hope to have something nailed down by potty training too.
So, I obviously don't have children - but I honestly think about this ALL.THE.TIME. We called it "dinky" growing up, but saying that today makes me blush and laugh more than the real word does - ha! It's actually really interesting hearing what other people called those parts when they were little. I vote for Hank or Mr. Noodle :)
ReplyDeleteHaha! I'm so glad we went with the real name now, even though I hate it. Why? Because explaining the technical name in the teen years seems way worse! Surprisingly, now that they know they don't even think about it much or talk about it.
ReplyDeleteHAHAH that is funny. For some reason we call it "the thing" when talking to Zachy. Which I know will have to be changed at some point :-)
ReplyDeleteMy little man's is a "pee-bug" or "pee-pee bug". I am not sure where it came from, it just came out like that. He'll learn the proper term when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! This post is hilarious. My husband says "dinky". I guess that's what it was called when he was little, and he still calls it that! I'm not sure we will use that term for our son. I like "leaky" better, which is what we called it for my little brother.
ReplyDeleteI also struggle with what to call it. I've called it his peter before.. don't know where I got that from. Sometimes if Claire's looking at it, I'll say it's Max's.
ReplyDeleteI think growing up my brother and I always said "little bottom" for the front and "big bottom" for the back!
Hahaha this is too funny! My sister struggles with this too since they had a daughter first and are just now potty training their son. I will have to ask her what they call it.
ReplyDeleteWhen my daughter was little, she was of course curious. So we started to tell her the actual names of parts, including her own. It got shortened to 'gina, which is still used to this day. And then her brother was born and she HAD to know all about him. So we just stuck with penis [sorry ... I know you dont like it! LOL]. She spouts it off like its no big deal, which I think is great, but when we are in public, it can be a little awkward as my three year old screams across the store "Mom, London is grabbing his penis. I think he has to peeeeeee!" Not sure what she wants me to do about it -- he's only 16 months old and not potty training yet. My husband doesnt love how open and honest I am with the kids ... but I want them growing up knowing they can come to me about ANYTHING. Literally. And I'll always tell them as honestly as I can/know.
ReplyDeleteWe called it the "real" name until potty training. Then I just couldn't bear saying it 875,000 times a day. So pee-pee it became Now that we have a girl I'm glad we did since we also have a girl. Everyone can just have a pee-pee bc there is no way I'm saying the girl term all the time!
ReplyDeleteWe go with pee-pee. Although, I admit, I generally try to avoid using a word for it. The fun I'm having right now is him constantly playing with it. So I tell him "stop playing with yourself" at least 50 times a day. That's fun. Good luck finding the right name! :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat about "junk" lol kidding kidding.
ReplyDeleteWe call it the proper term. I grew up never knowing technical terms than way later than I should have! Also, I heard about a court case where a small child was a victim of sexual abuse by an authority figure. In court, the child would not use the technical term on the stand (he knew it by some strange nickname) and they could not prosecute the perp because of this. I never want my son to be shy about proper terms and think they must be negative!
ReplyDeletemy mom used to refer to it as the correct anatomy name:) with my nephew, I call it a p***s. It is simple and easy, and doesn't get confused with other words.
ReplyDeleteWe just call it what it is. I have a friend, however, whose son calls it "noonie." LOL
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, when I was younger, my family referred to the male and female parts as simply "the privates." Easy enough?
ReplyDeleteI went through a couple cute names, wee-wee, included, and finally just settled on the p word, which I hate saying. I figure he eventually needs to know that word so might as well start now. My husband calls it his junk though so he also knows that. Aaaand he points to it half the time when we ask him where his belly button is, so probably the fact that we keep switching names has ruined his medical knowledge for life.
ReplyDeleteThis is a hilarious post!
ReplyDeleteThis is too funny...hank and mr. Noodle....I love it. We totally call it by its right name. But you're right, it's not cute enough for a toddler. Plus I'm not sure i want him using that word in public and totally embarrassing me.
ReplyDeleteWe have a little girl over here and she will tell you straight out and point to her vagina. After working in preschool and having little kids call their privates extremely strange names (i.e. cookie)I decided we would teach my kids the technical terms for their privates. I could just imagine that kid who called hers a cookie trying to tell someone that someone had touched her cookie and no one knowing what she was talking about.
ReplyDeleteThis is so funny.With our little boy we call it either a "willy" or "doodle" which is what a lot of us Australians call it with my daughter hers was called a "private" she is 30 and still calls it that-love dee x
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness - I am crying over here imagining you calling it Hank! LOL. This is really funny. I have no idea what we are going to tell our daughter. I am thinking I will be very scientific about it. But who knows...
ReplyDeletewe have a handful of names for "it" by far my favorite is what my husband calls it, hangle mangle jangle. with puts me in tears coming from a 3 yr old
ReplyDelete