We all hear the stories on the news from time to time; runners getting abducted and some of them never found again. We think that our neighborhoods are 100% safe, or that "it will never happen to us". Sure, the statistics are low, but why not do what we can to ensure as much safety as possible?
As a runner now for over 5 years, I thought it would be helpful to provide a few tips that I follow when going out on a jog. Sure, you'll hear people say to not run alone or not use earbuds, but you won't see that here. I prefer to run alone and HAVE to have my music. But I'm passionate about the below and would urge you to consider them when walking/jogging/running yourself!
I've carried mace since the day I began running and never leave home without when going solo. For me, having that extra amount of protection in my hand makes me feel just that much safer. And when I've felt creepy eyes staring at me a few times (next to a creepy van), I have even made a point to click the top and shake it. I know they saw it when I did that and that's exactly why I did it! Plus - what if a stray, crazy dog comes your way? You never know. Dicks sells cute pink ones now for only $15!
I know, I know, it's the most flattering color. Unfortunately, it blends in the best and is the hardest to see in dusk or dawn. If you have to wear black pants, wear a bright top or vice versa. Also, reflective strips are the way to go!
I'm not ever going to say to run without headphones. I know that's the most practical way to go but it's not realistic for a lot of us. I'd suggest just not turning them all the way up and keeping them at a volume where you can still hear people and cars around you. If someone is able to walk/jog up behind you and you didn't hear them, it's probably a bit too high!
Intuition people. It's magic. Our bodies can tell us when something is 'off' or doesn't feel right and we need to listen to those. But this doesn't just mean keeping your eyes peeled for creepers, this is making sure you follow the "look both ways" when crossing the street rule as well! I've almost been hit a dozen times over the years because of people on their phones and it's only getting worse with drivers!
You like your path, right? Too bad. It's the easiest way for someone to learn your routine and figure out where to snatch you up. Ok sorry, now I'm getting a bit out there. Still, I'd suggest changing your route up each run. I find it's more fun to see new people, places and sights anyway!
In general, just be smart and aware of your surroundings.
Are your shoes on yet? Let's go hit the pavement!






I don't consider myself a runner, but I am working on that with this C25K program. You have some GREAT tips here!! Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteI'm new to running (week 7 of C25K) so I welcome all the tips I can get! I also carry mace with me as too I run alone. I've been running the same route due to living in the hills and it being the flattest I can find but maybe I should change it up a bit. Great tips, thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteKatie
godslittlegrace.blogspot.com
I don't run with headphones, I just can't. I have to be able to hear what's going on around me.
ReplyDeleteThese are all great pieces of advice. My husband often jogs with Tay in the stroller so he has to be even more careful. He does the one earbud only rule when listening to music.
ReplyDeleteAs for mace- it is a great idea, unless you get bored while pooping one day and accidentally spray yourself in the face. It happens, you know?
http://www.sittinginatree-blog.com/2011/04/i-changed-my-mind.html
Thanks for sharing the tips! I never wore head phones either when I used to run, but always used the same trail. I'll keep those in mind next time. Signing up for some martial arts classes would help, too! I did kickboxing for a while and then Jet Kune Do. It's a kick-butt workout and really helps with sharpening the natural senses and also being able to defend oneself should there be a situation.
ReplyDeleteI can run right out my front door to the LSU lakes (a great place to run). But I went to college while the serial killer was working his magic here which means I try to be safe but it is always a nice reminder to do those things. I have some weird stuff happen to me all the time while I am running those lakes which sometimes makes me want to be a treadmill runner.
ReplyDeleteI really do need to get mace. I'm pretty alert, though. At least I try to be. Good tips!
ReplyDeletelove this! I would love to share your tips, of course giving you the credit .. shoot my followers your way... if that's ok?
ReplyDeleteloyalrun@gmail.com
I keep asking Scott to pick me up some mace. Thanks for the reminder to get on him about that. :)
ReplyDeleteI only run in broad daylight and I am ALWAYS paranoid that I am going to be abducted. I know I shouldn't think like that, but unless I bring the dogs or Chris, I am just too paranoid to run. Our neighborhood even has trains and tons of kids/families around, but little ole me is too scared :)
ReplyDeleteI run with my dog - that helps some.
ReplyDeleteI also recommend wearing some type of identification in case something happens.
I run with a road ID so that if (God forbid) something were to happen people would know who to contact in case of an emergency.
Good tips thanks for sharing, esp about the music too loud, I never thought of that.
ReplyDeleteGreat tips, we can all use these reminders from time to time so we don't get ourselves into bad habits and bad situations!! Run safe!
ReplyDeleteThese are very good tips, esp for new runners out there.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty comfortable running where I live (being in the country). One thing I always do, is let people know where I'm running, and what time they are expecting me. Depending on where I'm running I will take my phone. If there is going to be not reception, then I'll let them know the track I'm running, and if i'm not back by xx amount of time, to come look for me.
The other investment I have made is a 1idband. I never travel without my garmin, so it's handy to have on my watch, and has all the important contact details on there in case of an emergency.
Great tips!
ReplyDeleteGood tips! I bought pepper spray but forget to bring it with me most days! I'm gonna try harder to remember it!
ReplyDeletehttp://pamrunsmarathons.blogspot.com/ pamrobbinsruns.com
Honestly, I would say turn the music off rather than just down :)
ReplyDelete@chrismalenab www.marathonliving.com