5.26.2013

Dr. Drew


Drew has both an Uncle and an Aunt who are doctors or soon-to-be doctors. I would love nothing more for him than to follow in their footsteps and do the same. Derek and I have always discussed how we really want to put a strong emphasis on academics but the question is how hard do we push. Growing up, my parents always put us in any activity we wanted to be in, but our grades were always a top priority. I was that kid who even got paid for A's and aren't ashamed of it. Whatever works right? Sometimes I hate that I'm the only one out of Derek and I's siblings that don't have a graduate degree, but then again, in the world of advertising, a graduate degree doesn't really put you ahead of others. If you love what you do (which I do) and are with the right company, you'll go as far as you want to. In fact, prior to Derek's career change which brought us to Ohio, I had worked my way up to the management team for my department. It was such an awesome feeling when I got that promotion and I truly enjoyed helping to mold and grow our team of wonderful employees. I did have to step down to the senior level in order to work from home when we moved, but am fortunate to still be working for the same company. Did I totally ramble off subject there?

Back to Drew. Have you guys heard of the Chinese method to parenting? Studying ALL the time, no activities and really no social life? Sounds hellish doesn't it? But then, those are the kids getting straight A's and attending ivy league colleges. Sure some of them might turn out socially inept, but they will run the large companies and work their way up the ranks quickly. They are guaranteed jobs post graduation and will probably live securely forever as doctors, engineers, lawyers or CEO's. Drew is only two so our parenting style regarding this hasn't really been set yet and I doubt we adopt this method. It's just more an ongoing conversation I have with Derek about how much we want to push him when he's older.

Maybe at his med school graduation, I'll print this picture to show him....


Do you have older kids? Do you think you push them too much academically? Any of you utilizing the Chinese method to parenting? 


7 comments:

  1. We have decided definitely to support our kids, whether they want to go to college or do a job training later. We don't believe in forcing them into college if they are not interested. To us, their happiness is the major priority, even though we of course expect them to do at least decent in school. On the "tiger moms", well, their kids might go on to ivy league college and make career, but will they be happy? I wonder about the suicide rate among those kids, about the rate of eating disorders or other mental disorders induced by parenting like that. My heart aches for those poor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love that toy doctor kit. TeeTee does too.

    Second, I'm a big believer of pushing academics, but I'm JUST as passionate about kids being involved. I actually think the more involved kids are the ones usually getting the highest grades.

    But above all, it is definitely parenting and finding the right way to emphasize the importance of education and career to make a happy life easier to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved school and learning and hope to pass that on to the boys. Oh my how cute is Drew in these photos?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an 8th grade teacher, I see kids on both ends of the spectrum. It's very apparent at this age because students are gearing up for HS when things like grades and clubs, etc count for college. What employers (and now education.....always a few steps behind) tend to lean toward now is an emphasis on science, math, technology, and engineering type academia.....BUT creativity is HUGE. The problem with some kids that have been raised "tiger mom" style is that they might not be very creative.....they are always hell bent on the one and only RIGHT answer.....and not really thinking through things or considering other options. Employers want smart employees......but creative and flexible ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope he goes to med school so you can use that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HILARIOUS!!! I love that picture! It will definitely go in a wedding slideshow for him one day! HA!

    ReplyDelete