5.06.2013

20 Things I Would Tell My 17 Year Old Self


1. You are not fat. Just run a bit and you'll tone right up.

2. Don't worry if you change your college major. What you end up choosing will land you in a company that you'll spend at least 9 years at (I'm still there!).

3. Don't be afraid of moving away from Kansas City after college. Things work out just fine.

4. He is not 'the one'. It seems like it now, but he's not. I promise.

5. I know you want to be more 'popular' sometimes. I wish you would see how some of those girls look now, both inside and out. Some are divorced, some are broke, some are not happy and some are still finding themselves. You'll be so much happier than a lot of those girls in the future so don't worry about it.



6. Your brother is still one of your best friends to this day. Cherish those few moments left with him while you live under the same roof.

7. Someday you actually will like holding babies. Down the road, you'll even have your own. 

8. I know it sucks working multiple summer jobs, but it's teaching you the value of hard-earned money.

9. Try to find the silver linings in life.

10. When you get the chance, visit your grandparents. You have three left and someday you won't have any and wish you had more time with them.


11. Appreciate your mother. I know you frustrate each other but someday you'll understand what it's like to be a mother. I know you don't think she knows anything, but she does. 

12. College will be a blast. You'll join a sorority and make some great memories, but just know that your best friends are already in your life and more will come after graduation. 

13. All of those guys that you dated throughout college will help you realize what you want in a spouse. A lot will break your heart, but don't worry, they weren't part of the bigger plan anyway.

14. You know how you've always been a saver? Keep it up. 

15. Stop laying out so much, or at least wear more than 15spf on your face. 


16. Study abroad a semester. 15 years later and I still wish you would have.

17. Loyalty has always been one of your strongest traits. When it's tested at young company after college, stick it out through the tears. It will be one of the best decisions you've ever made when that company fully blossoms.

18. Take that 'friend of a friend' to your date party senior year. It will be the beginning of the relationship you've always dreamed of. 

19. Don't be embarrassed by your parents old cars. Instead, be thankful they saved money to pay for your college leaving you without a single loan upon graduation.

20. Invest in this online site that will come around in a few years called Facebook. With a lot of money.


48 comments:

  1. Love this and seeing all of your old pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm sure we all have quite the list to go back and tell our 17 year old selves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that is awesome! Invest in Facebook hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good post! I wish I would've studied abroad too :(

    What sorority were you in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12, 15, 19 & 20 are SPOT ON!!! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! There's something about being 17. A lot happens that year. I still think about being that age often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! Glad you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! As I was reading it, I was wondering what I would tell my 17-year-old self, too...my how things change, huh? Thank you for sharing a piece of your past--I loved seeing your old pictures. You're just as pretty now as you were then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great list. I would love to do that for myself...although, I'd probably go back and smack myself upside the head!

    Thanks for posting!

    Jordan @ Let Them Eat Paste

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. 17 year old me should have spent more time with 17 year old you. :) #5 hit me hard...something I've come to realize the past few years...sad....

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post! I would love to say so many of these things to myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome post! There are a lot of things that I wish I could have told my 17 year old self :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The one that struck me the most was studying abroad, I wish I had done that too. I was an AXO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great post! I could say some of those very same things to my 17-year-old self.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this post. I too regret not studying abroad! Ugh! And I'm also a super loyal Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great list. I totally wish we could actually tell our 17 year old self these things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! You did it! Love the pics.
    Don't you just wish you could go back and have a little chit chat with yourself? Gosh, I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post. I would tell myself a lot of things!! It's amazing how much we change, right? {P.S. I'm loving that cute baton picture.}

    ReplyDelete
  19. #3 was definitely me, I was so scared to move away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love everything you shared here. What great advice for all the 20 somethings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such an awesome idea. I totally may have to use it to create my own list to reflect on. There's so much I would have told my 17 year old self. Such a vulnerable and impressionable time, and what great advice you have! And you turned out so wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. There’s the Mike I remember! And I didn’t know you were a Pacesetter (or were you? can't tell with the baton)! Aww, Erin – this post is full of good old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This entire post is pure gold. And the pictures are fantastic. Where you in colorguard or dance with that one picture?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this post! Its so crazy to think back on all the things that I thought were going to be huge and now they seem so small. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Man love these photos...and love looking back at your past. Isn't it crazy how life changes and goes by so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that you have all these old photos of your self. I can totally relate to so many of these, especially #4.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great list ~ especially the one about not always being so frustrated with your mother.
    If only every young girl could go back and say that to themselves!!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very good advice! If only we could all go back and tell our 20 year old selves some things. I especially like the one about investing in Facebook - that would have turned out pretty well, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the post! Wish we all could go back and tell our 17 year old selves a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this! Isn't is so strange to look back? I really do wish I could tell myself some of these things sometimes. And I wonder what future me would tell me right now?

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this, especially #20 HAHAH!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i feel like i'm reading my exact same list! especially number 4. i have no idea where that boy is now! this was a fun post though, i think i might steal the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. #4 - TOTALLY! Oh, I was devastated when he dumped me and I thought I would never get over it or find someone I cared about as much I did about him. Pssshhhh!

    Oh yeah, and the "fat" and "popularity" stuff too. Being a teenager is rough!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great list and photos! I remember having "everything figured out when I was seventeen. Oh, to have a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful post and I love the photos!!! I relate to so many on your list...if only. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOL! I agree with so many of these! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is an Amazing post!!! If only we could write letters to ourselves and get them back then!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Loved this :D I did one similar awhile back, but I get embarrassed thinking of my 16/17 year old self!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is great Sarah! I did something similar to this on my blog not too long ago, and it was one of my most appreciated posts! Love reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a great post! Happy Mother's Day Weekend to you!! Enjoy your special day with your sweet little boy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Try to find the silver linings... I love that reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello, I googled "what would you tell your 17 year old self" because I turn 17 in four days and I came across your blog. Im so glad i did. a LOT of what you said directly relates to me. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello, I googled "what would you tell your 17 year old self" because I turn 17 within four days and Im a bit more upset than happy. I realized im growing up almost out of high school. everyone around me is younger now. I'm afraid. a lot of what you said relates directly to me. thanks a lot! I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete