11.13.2012

The Price of Pets



On Sunday these two hookers got their annual shots. Can I just tell you how I love spending so much money on them at this time of year? Between shots and holiday boarding, they need to start pulling more weight around here. Maybe I could invent doggie slippers that had dust cloths on the bottom. Or maybe they'll get picked up by a talent agency for some dog modeling. A fur-mom can dream, right?

Do you ever talk about the threshold, if any, of spending you'd allow with your fur-babies? 5 years ago I would have said we'd pay almost anything for a surgery if needed... potentially speaking in terms of thousands. Now, I cringed when my mom told me they just had a $1,200 bill for their dog, Roxie, and her bum hip. I don't know what our 'limit' is anymore, but sadly, I'm pretty sure that it's not as high as it used to be.

I realize that makes me sound like a horrible fur-ball momma, it's just that I'd rather put that money towards Drew's college fund. I do love these two bed warmers, really. They are part of the family and I guess we'd just have to cross that bridge when we got there. Knock on wood we never have to have those difficult conversations though!




14 comments:

  1. It is so funny how things change when you have a Little. Your beloved fur babies get forgotten and if they are like mine they hear "ugh the dogs!" more then once a day. It makes me sad, but now al I can think about is that I forgot to get their heartworm pills and I better go do that tomorrow ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right before the little man was born our dog underwent major (and super, SUPER) expensive knee surgery. We've already had the discussion about what should happen if surgery would be needed for the other knee. It's crazy how different priorities are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You adopt pets for life and thereby are responsible to do what you can to ensure they have quality of life. And that goes double for our Granddoggies!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if something ever DID happen, we'll be sure to include an investment from you and dad. :)

      Delete
  4. I can very much relate to this post. Before Tay, my furbabies were my life. Now, it's just different. I still love them very much, but it is about Tay. She's the priority.

    (and I love how you called them hookers!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had to get a new home for our hyper chocolate lab puppy once the baby came...we just couldn't afford to take care of both! Before the baby, though, we would spend so much money on that pup, oh my goodness.

    Your puppies are absolutely adorable, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up where pets stayed outside 365 days each year. That's what dog houses are for. (We would have let our dog stay in our detached, unheated garage during a snowstorm.) To me, pets are pets, and children are children. There's nothing to decide. I'd spend money on my grandson rather than on major surgery for our pet any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this exact conversation. Once babies comes times just change, no matter how much you say they will not. Pets are just that, they are PETS. They are NOT our children, they are not part of us. I absolutely said, without hesitation, that I'd have spent a large amount of money on our dog if need be, before kids. Now I get mad every December at paying his yearly vet bill for his annual shots. I do it, I just don't like it. The amount of money I would spend on him has indeed decreased greatly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to pull out the money for the animals. We try to hit up the humane society they offer shots for half of what our vet asks for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha these two hookers - that's hilarious. And gorgeous photos of the two of them!

    Our dog is like, the most expensive dang dog on the planet. The time that he got into my husband's prescription painkillers, and needed a 5-day hospital stay WHILE we were on vacation (and thus had to leave him at the dog hospital while we returned home) for $2,000, was the absolute worst. And now our vet says that he needs his teeth cleaned, which will be $300 in total. SMH. We've never discussed a limit, but with this dog, I'm sure that conversation will be had at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had 2 dogs who were our life before our kids. King, our first baby and most treasured dog, was always sickly and we spent THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS on him over the years. He was a Doberman Pinscher with lots of health issues. Anyway, when Jax as 4 months old, King got very very sick. He was so sick that the vet said if we did not take him to Tucson (1.5 hours away) for probably 2 blood transfusions (before they could diagnose and then treat him) then he would die in the next day or so. We don't know why, we don't know how he got that sick. Before Jackson, I probably would have taken him...and the guilt eats at me now. But, we had Jax and I was pregnant with Addy and the stress of even thinking about all of that (travel, leaving him up there, etc) with a baby at home and pregnant was too much...I hadn't even gotten to worrying about the money yet. So, we had to say our goodbyes and let King go. We sat there with him, hugged him, and cried more than I think we've ever cried together. I'm not sure I've ever seen my husband cry like that. I am crying just writing about it. It was pretty much exactly 2 years ago. I know we made the right decision - even if we had brought him up to Tucson, who knows what would have happened. It was likely cancer or some other fatal disease and we probably would have only bought him a little time...and he was miserable and the cost was too high. I agree with with Gramma up there - our pets are family and we owe them something and we do for them what we can - within reason. When we have kids, that "within reason" definition changes. But I still work hard to make sure our other dog, Rory, has a happy and healthy life. Anyway...that's my very long story about how we decided when it became too much, so soon after having Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in tears just reading this Faith! So sorry to hear about King but sounds like he had a wonderful life. Hugs to you and your family!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah! I have been following your blog since you left a comment on mine. :) www.oursunshinelollipopsandrainbows.blogspot.com Your family is so adorable! I love your blog and how personal and sweet you make it!



    We are dog crazy people and have had three dogs in our 11 years together. I hated vet bills until we found banfield pet hospital (part of petsmart stores). They offer wellness plans. So you pay $20ish a month and never pay for regular tests, shots, annual visits etc. You get a discount off your meds and they even discount surgery. It is completely worth it. That all being said I live in NH and have no idea if you have one near you. If you do, check it out, it is well worth it!

    Have a wonderful day!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete