11.27.2012

The Christmas Tree - A Family Tradition

Traditions are my icing on the cake this time of year. They make the month of December just that much better and my heart does a happy dance just thinking of them. From destroying the kitchen baking loaves and loaves of banana bread, to sipping egg nog while watching Love Actually, the traditions surrounding the Holidays couldn't be loved anymore by muah.

One tradition for our family was the selection and decoration of a real Christmas tree every year. I can remember bundling up each December and traipsing through crunchy fields finding the perfect pine. We would sip on hot chocolate once the hayride dropped us off and warm our frozen fingertips around the fires. Dad would help tie the tree to the top of the van and we would head home, knowing there was boxes of ornaments that needed displayed. Once home, Christmas records were spun and warm sweatshirts and pants were sported. The tradition of decorating the tree was always a good time, but it was after completion that included my favorite moments. My brother and I would lie on the floor as my parents went about their business and look up at the lights shining on the ceiling. I'm not sure if we would chat or just lie there quietly and watch, but either way, it's a memory I'll never leave behind.  Knowing that Christmas was right around the corner probably added to the splendor, but in that simple moment I always felt so fulfilled  Sure I was just a child, but the magical lights shining so brightly and my brother sharing in the moment with me made it always something I looked forward to all year.

Derek and I have never had a real tree before. Whether it was time constraints, small apartments, laziness or you name it, several fake trees adorned our living rooms throughout the years. With Drew coming upon the age of 2 and plenty of tree farms around Cleveland, it was time. Time to start re-creating my childhood tradition with Drew. Time to suck it up and face the 30 degrees just to find the perfect tree. And with my parents, the tree experts, in town, there wasn't a better time. A friend referred us to a local tree farm and the hunt was on.


We found our fir, saw some goats, grabbed hot chocolate and scurried back into the car as fast as we could. It was cold... and we were frozen. But we found the tree. Not too skinny and not too fat. Just perfect. Once home with our tree, Dad and Derek set it up, but we agreed to hold off decorating until the next morning. Because, quite frankly, we had board games that needed played and drinks that needed consumed. Priorities people!

After breakfast that next day, we put on some tunes and grabbed the cameras to capture Drew helping with the decorations. Last year he was just a bump on a log, barely crawling around while Derek and I decorated. This year he was a helping fool, grabbing as many ornaments as he could and carefully placing each one (with a bit of help). The tree looked spectacular, just needing a topper we have yet to find, and I loved that my parents were there to help.


Once the tree was decorated, Drew and my mother both took a nap while Derek, my dad and I decorated the outside of the house. Nothing too extravagant, just some garland, bows and lights here and there. I enjoyed having my father there to help.... somewhat of an old tradition come alive again.


Now that I have a few Holiday traditions under my belt, I'm so very giddy for more to come. I think we're taking Drew to see Santa this weekend and I'm sure I'll be doing some baking while belting to my favorite Mariah Carey songs. Cheers to the Holidays and things that make us feel warm and fuzzy inside!

What are your favorite Holiday traditions?



20 comments:

  1. I have the same memories from picking out Christmas trees as a kid!! I LOVED driving to who knows where to find the PERFECT tree while listening to Mannheim Steamroller in my mom's tape deck!! LOVE holiday traditions!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always do a real tree, my memories are similar to the ones you have and we've had a real tree every year since Nick was born (now 9 years!) I LOVE going to cut down a real tree, sipping hot chocolate and dragging that baby home. Makes me feel proud and gives me a odd sense of pride. I love the smell and look of real trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could have a real tree but having animals does not make that an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Love Actually one of the best movies ever??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have always had real trees and ever since my sister and I moved out we have always gone with my parents to buy all of our trees together (daddy pays = ) Well this year was especially special. This will be our first Christmas since my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and she may have been tired and extremely sick, but she was not going to miss Mckinley getting to pick out her first tree (she wasn't really big enough last year). We usually all come back over here and decorate, but since she wasn't feeling well she went ahead on home, but we will go over there and help them decorate just like we always do. Christmas will be especially sweet this year = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :o) I can see we share the love of traditions! Cutting down a Christmas tree, baking cookies, and dancing around the living room while listening to Christmas music are all things that I hope to share with my children for years! Because that is what this time of year is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. traditions make the holidays worth while!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We absolutely love that you love the traditions we built with you kids through the years! We always enjoyed them so but never knew what was really going through you 'youngsters' minds. :) It warms our hearts to now learn that you really did enjoy so many of them through the year. And of course...we did too! So now we'll all enjoy building wonderful memories for the next generation! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesomeness. We were soooooooo close to going the real tree route this year because picking out a tree was a part of hubby's tradition, but we are currently in a "everything goes into Taylor's mouth" stage and the pine needles can destroy a baby's belly so we got a new fake tree instead. Maybe once all babies are accounted for and over the age of 2 we will do it.

    But I am a tad jealous. As weird as it sounds, I did want to freeze my tush off and pick out "the perfect tree".

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great memories you have! We have done both too, real and fake trees, but ultimately I think we are going to stick with the fake one for a while. We are finishing up our tree today, so I'm anxious to see how Chloe handles it full of ornaments that are just screaming her name to touch. Have fun going to see Santa!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me all sentimental, we just got our tree this weekend and it brought back memories. It's so amazing being able to start traditions with your own family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How precious! I never got to grow up with Christmas but now that I celebrate it and have a family of my own we are starting our own traditions!
    We implemented Elf of a Shelf this year for Reagan! It's been so much fun!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by and leaving that sweet comment! :) Great minds think alike, I suppose. ;) I have never seen Love Actually, but I actually recorded it on the DVR last week, so it's just waiting for me to watch it. Hah! Love your blog! I think are boys are pretty close in age, too! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by and for the congrats! :) I love this post - we have never had a real Christmas tree (not even as kids). It seems like so much fun but I'm not sure hubby would ever agree...and not sure I will be motivated to make it happen. Definitely not this year with the new baby, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun tradition!! I love the hunt for a fresh tree. You have a beautiful family. I have a little toddler (21 months) and he is a joyful little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! That's so exciting. I love that you decided to get a real one this year, and I can't believe your son was actually helping. I think my son would knock over the tree. Lol. I'll let him help this year, but we'll see how it goes... Jeremy is the same age I think, turns 2 December 30th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We haven't made any real traditions yet...I'm just happy I get to spend Christmas with him <3 Definitely need to make some before we have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how when you hear Mariah Carey on the radio - you know it's the holiday season!

    Drew is ADORABLE!! Precious!

    I don't think I've come across your blog before - always love reading new ones :) Thanks for stopping by earlier - also, I had NO idea how "blue" my post was until people started mentioning it! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family has an old Danish tradition of placing an almond in a bowl of rice pudding and distributing the bowls to everyone in the house. Whoever finds the almond gets good luck for a year and a chocolate gift. This is my favorite tradition and my family swears by it! The year I won was seriously the best year of my life! haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. These pictures are so much fun! Your blog is adorable, girl!! :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete