11.24.2012

One Fresh Turkey

I know people have varying opinions about the Thanksgiving turkey. For some, it's an art form that takes days to create. For others, it's just some meat bought at a local store that you heat up 30 min prior to eating. I'm closer to the latter, but someday hope to be able to cook a wonderful turkey. This year, hosting the whole family at my house, it was just too much stress. I must say though, the Honey Baked Ham pre-cooked turkey we had was absolutely moist and delicious. It will be very hard to come close to that myself someday.

To me, it's as much about family time as it is the turkey. With our wonderful weather, we were able to get outside and enjoy some yard games before the meal commenced. And as much as I hate to admit it, I was somehow schooled by both my husband and mother in ladder golf. I'll go with 'luck' being on their side for those games.


I cooked/prepared the majority of the meal this year with my mom helping with a couple items and Summer making a corn dish as well. I honestly thought I would have been so much more stressed than I was, but it wasn't that bad! I tried to make what I could the day before and then just baked the rest while Drew was napping.


Once our tummies were full, the football games were turned on and Gramma chased Drew.


Dad had many visitors while trimming the last of the turkey; this includes two with four legs and one with two legs. Unfortunately, the two with four legs didn't get near as many bites as the cuter, two-legged one.


After enjoying pumpkin pie, Drew was given a bath and put to bed. Just like how the turkey is important for some, special drinks are a tradition during the holidays for me. We made my pumpkin martini's again for all to enjoy. And for the last tradition, a card game was brought out. You see, my brother and I are extremely competitive... about everything. Card games have been a major part of family traditions growing up and we love to continue them when we're all together.

New iPhone panorama picture app shot!
I won't tell you who won the card game (because I might or might not still be pouting), but I won with the pre-cooked turkey... that's for sure.


12 comments:

  1. Haha cooking a turkey is an art for sure! I've been doing it every year and it's still a nightmare for the most part. Hopefully I will improve years to come but it's not looking promising hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow the pumpkin martinis look great. I love card games too and always pout on the off chance I don't win ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love playing games with the fam! Glad y'all had a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fun! Man, I don't remember your brother being so tall! Good lookin' family you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman after my own heart ~ Bailey's and ladder golf! Yay!
    Thank you for coming by and saying Hi over at Raising Reagan :) Following you!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a pretty great Thanksgiving! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never be ashamed of honey Baked Turkey or Ham (Yum!) Just hosting Thanksgiving is a big deal in itself! You are a much braver woman than I my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drinks sound like a good tradition to me! I might have to start that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you cooked up some great food! This year was my first Thanksgiving and I loved trying all the traditional dishes. Pumpkin martinis sound interesting, yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog! Looks like an amazing Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog too! I love the pano app for my phone. I haven't played that much with it, but your last picture is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete