11.01.2012

Nature


Few things are more important in life than the outdoors to my parents. From early on in life, I remember spending tons of time outside. Sure video and computer games weren't around much and that helped on this front, but it was my parents' love of fresh air that drove our family to spending so much time outside. I have memories from early on of being at a park with my mother writing notes to my dad. I remember so much time at campgrounds chasing my brother on our bikes or trying to find a four-leaf clover in the field. Raking leaves in the fall and planting veggies or flowers in the spring were annual traditions that I held dearly. I have a fondness for mother nature and I think it's because a big chunk of my childhood was spent within her beautiful arms.

I have enjoyed watching my parents pass on this love to my son. I long for him to enjoy the outdoors more than the TV or computer and hope he appreciates all of the colors of nature someday. During our stay in Kansas City, my parents took Drew on a 'nature walk'. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the colors were absolutely vivid. With winter around the corner, my parents knew this was probably one of the last few days they could go outside without jackets. Dad scrounged up an old cigar box to collect the souvenirs from the adventure and off they went.


Drew was quite interested in the colors and textures of everything they collected and watching him listen as my mother explained everything was too precious. He proudly waved a few of his leaves in the air as they strolled and watched as the squirrels and bunnies scattered around. It was peaceful. Drew didn't make much noise, just listened instead.


Towards the end of the walk, dandelions were spotted in an unkempt yard. Standard protocol after collection involves blowing their florets off and this is exactly what mom taught Drew to do. Although he's not a strong blower yet, he couldn't wait to attempt each time mom snagged him another from the ground.


Although simple, and spontaneous, I know Drew enjoyed this walk with my parents. Hurricane Sandy quickly destroyed so much of fall's beauty so now we have to look towards spring. Sure, winter and playing in the snow will be fun, but it's personally not my favorite season.

Starting today, I will be looking forward to spring.



8 comments:

  1. This is just so cute! Your parents are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, Grandparents are good for something! It has been a beautiful Fall, and it is fun to see such wonderful pictures of Little D with your parents. He is soaking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful tradition! fall is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely you and your parents sound. I grew up in the country I guess you could say, so I have a fondness for nature too. It looks like you have an interest in photography, love the pictures. I look forward to seeing more and reading about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How special that is for your son to enjoy nature with YOUR parents :) Thanks for the follow! Looks like we have lots in common!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous pictures and sweet post; thanks for stopping by my blog! Now following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so sweet to see grandparents with their grandson, passing along things that they taught you. I had that with my grandparents and hope that my kids have the same relationship with theirs.
    Thank you for stopping by. I am following you back.

    Karina
    www.momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete