Ever since Derek learned his gun skills, he has wanted me to learn how to shoot. We decided that it was time seeing as how I've slowly become less freaked out by guns over the past 2 years. Although I'll hopefully never have to touch one again, I was very unsettled about going to the range last week. The entire 30 minute drive, Derek proudly taught me as much as he could on what he had been trained about guns to ease my mind. The proper hold, safety tips, strong grips, wide stance, etc, etc, etc. Upon arrival we were ushered to the 'private' side which wasn't being used at all and we had 4 stalls to ourself. This helped my comfort level as all 10 public stalls were occupied by shooters, including a few that were on the creepy-looking side. After more lessons from Derek, I declined to take the first shot. Looking like a pro, he stepped up first, aimed and fired.
And that's when I lost it.
I don't know if it was the fact that I'd never been near a loaded gun, let alone one firing. Or that there were about 20-25 people walking around the facility with loaded guns. Or maybe it was the gut wrenching thoughts swirling my head about the only reasons I'd ever have to even fire a gun. Whatever it was, all of my emotions balled up and I just had a deep cry for about 30 seconds. Derek stopped, turned around to console me, we chatted for a few minutes and then everything was ok. It was weird. I didn't even 'feel' emotional, it just came out once I felt the shot deep inside the core of my body. After Derek shot a few more rounds followed by a couple more words of wisdom, it was my turn. With my hands and body shaking, I tentatively took hold of the gun, planted my feet and raised my arms to fire. It seemed like I was pulling back on that trigger forever and then out of the blue it happened. I had been holding my breath so I gasped for air and carefully laid the gun down only to look up and see where I hit.
Bullseye.
The bullet hit the target with a bang exactly where I was aiming it. It was the most powerful feeling in the world that I was not prepared for. My grip must not have been tight enough, though, as the gun almost flew out of my hands after firing. I also did not have that 'excited' feeling that people get when shooting and I'm pretty sure every single muscle in my body was tensed. I had done it though... and did it good! Something I honestly had never thought I would ever do in my entire life and, quite frankly, had NO desire to ever do. But the fact that I hit the target perfectly encouraged just a small tinge of excitement to roll down my spine. I ended up shooting better than Derek and getting a 96/100** and boy did that make me feel good.
As I told Derek, it really brought me from a "5" to a "75" as far as comfort level with guns. Although I'm sure I'll never be "100" comfortable, it was an experience that was needed and I'm glad we did it.
(**Sidenote, it did take me about 15 minutes to get off those first 10 bullets when Derek shot all 10 in under 3 minutes).


Don't you want to go back and do it again?!! :)
ReplyDelete