8.29.2014
Drew Lately
One of the common questions I get asked lately is about Drew and how he's adjusting to having a little sister. My answer has always been two parts.
Part 1 - Drew with Ady
Drew absolutely adores this child. See this post.
Part 2 - Drew with Us
Trying. That's the only word that could describe these first 2-3 weeks after Ady came home. I know it's a normal phase for a 3.5 year old, and especially one with a new sibling, but it was rough. There were some evenings and weekends where it was nonstop whining, crying or throwing a tantrum. We blamed some of it on grandparents being in town and spoiling him for a total of 3 weeks but lately it has gotten back to 'normal' (aka: bad behavior only about 30-50% of the time). We worked on him with constant praise, yet discussing why he needs to act a certain way or why he can't have something his way and it's helped tons. Drew is still a daddy's boy and it breaks my heart that he prefers him but I know it's because I have to be with Ady so much. Either way, he is still my sweet little man and the moments like those above are worth all the anguish.
Every kid will have their moments, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have gone through all of this with Emma! She was the only child for 7 years and then all of a sudden Alyx was in the picture. She has definitely had her moments but they are getting sooo much better. Jealousy is defiantly to be expected. And even when Emma shows some jealousy I know she just loves Alyx like no other. We also have tried doing some things with just Emma. My inlaws and parents have been really good about watching Alyx when I can sense that Emma needs just a little time alone with us =)
ReplyDeleteThat first picture is so sweet!
ReplyDeleteThey do all have their moments for sure. The bright side is he's taking his adjustment issues out on you guys and not Ady!
ReplyDeleteThey pictures of Drew with Andy are precious!! I love that he his helping with her! It will get better with time! Keep up the good work mommy! :)
ReplyDeleteAHHH typo! Ady... not Andy, sorry!
DeleteI should probably drink my coffee before catching up on my favorite blogs!! Your family is presh!! :)
DeleteIt's so sweet how much he adores her!
ReplyDeleteI think T is starting to follow in Drew's footsteps. She's been so much more of a handful these past few weeks. But with her, it's her smart mouth which we don't tolerate yet we haven't been able to reign in yet either. She actually told me the other day that I have to tell her things ten times before she's going to listen to me. THAT GIRL!!!
ReplyDeleteOh man, this totally brought back memories of when we brought Brennan home! Aiden was a bear to be around! The only time he was happy was when he had his daddy's undivided attention! It was insane! I couldn't understand where this stubborn, tantrum throwing, never happy boy came from! It was awful!!! Then, all of a sudden, it just went away and he was back to his normal self (same as Drew, 30-50% of the time being that not so fun boy). Glad Drew snapped out of it too. And you can't blame them - their world was turned upside down, but still. Oiy!
ReplyDeleteIt's a hard transition for them but I promise it gets better!
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how bad it has been for us with Charli... I call my mom in tears more times than I would like to admit. The crying, the whining, the tantrums, not listening, refusing naps, and the list goes on... Ugh... Sigh... This too shall pass, right?!
ReplyDelete