What's funny is that now that I'm a mother and have my own family, I actually get that same feeling when it's the last day our extended family is in town. It's no secret that we're 13 hours away from our families so we cherish every second when they come up here to visit. Knowing we'll only get to see them a handful of times a year means we don't take a second for granted. But it also means that this feeling will hit me like a ton of bricks that last day they are in town. Hard.
Yesterday was that day for me. I knew it was coming to an end and I couldn't do anything about it. Mid-morning rolled around and goodbye's were exchanged with Derek's family before they drove off. As much as I love having 'normalcy' back in the household, I miss them. Brownie points for no tears shed this time at least!
But rather than focus on that dreaded feeling, I'm going to count my rainbows instead of my thunderstorms (as my new friend Jess would say). And in the end, my friends, we had one awesome week with them here! We did our favorite Cleveland stops (Westside Market, Sweet Moses, Velvet Tango Room, Eddie 'n Eddie, Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, The Melt, etc), but mostly enjoyed time together.
And the best part? We only have a few more days and then my parents show up for a week! Yeah for spring visits!

I, for one, am impressed that you value your time with your in-laws so much :)
ReplyDeleteOh it's more than just value and I do feel very lucky. I love them very much and consider them a 2nd set of parents! :)
DeleteDitto to Allison's comment!
DeleteAnd you can tell that Drew just adores them :)
Thank you for visiting my little blog and commenting! My family, too, is a bit far away, so we soak in those moments that we can be together!
ReplyDeleteAwww - so sweet. I sometimes take for granted that my family is close enough to stop by whenever.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you cherished every moment!
It's always nice to have family around! :)
ReplyDeletefamily time is the best time!
ReplyDeleteThat feeling is the WORST. But it's good to have family around and when they're not around ALL the time, you usually do cherish your time with them more. It looks like you had a great time and I hope you'll have a great time with your parents now!
ReplyDeleteEven though you may be hours apart, I love how close you guys are with both sides of the family. Drew is truly a lucky guy to grow up surrounded by so much love. Glad you enjoyed your time with the IL's and hope the time with your family is just as wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI love the moments spent with family visiting! Glad you had such a nice visit and that you have more on the way!
ReplyDeletexo
Morgan
Okay... really? You guys are SO STINKIN' CUTE!!!!! All 3 of you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for dropping by my blog. My kiddos Easter baskets will be a sorry excuse for creative mamas. But I'll see what I can do.
nancy
ps---I LOVE it when my parents visit too! makes me giddy!
Oh I know exactly how you feel about family leaving! I am always holding back tears...
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a good time, even though it had to end. Your in-laws must feel incredibly lucky to have you as a daughter in-law. Hope Drew is resting up before his next round of spoiling!
ReplyDeleteI hate that feeling, glad y'all had a good visit & yay for more family on the way :)
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about family visiting/leaving. We are in CA and our families are in DC! But we are moving back to DC in June and sometimes I get overwhelmed thinking about the fact that they will be there all.the.time. haha My favorite was when we lived in NC and they were 4 hours away- it was perfect ;)
ReplyDeleteI can relate! We live far away from our families, too. It's always so great to see them, but so hard to see them leave. Thank goodness for phones and internet connections!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your visit!
Just had this happen to us on vacation! Reealllly didn't want to leave Rob's dad :((
ReplyDeleteHi! Me again, I just read more of your blog and see you are a Jayhawk! I am a KC native, just moved to Omaha 7 years ago! Leaving family is SO hard. My son lives in LA and we only see each other a couple of times a year. I cry every time when we leave each other!!!
ReplyDelete