9.16.2014

Lessons Learned


Last week I survived the entire week of Derek being gone for work. In that time, I learned a few things. 

A) Military moms and dads as well as single parents are my heroes. To not have spousal support with kids for months on end would be super tough and therefore I give extra kudos to you all.

B) My kids are awesome. Seriously. I don't know why I was nervous and underestimated myself, but it really wasn't that bad. I'm not saying it wasn't tough, but Drew is such a big help and can do so much on his own. I enjoyed reading to both kids in bed (when Ady wasn't crying) and my dinners with my man were special every evening as Ady would sleep. We had fun and laughed and snuggled while watching a movie and it was just awesome.

C) I missed my American Honey and Diet Dr. Peppers at night. At the last nursing session before bed a few nights I indulged in this fave drink of mine and it was delightful. Much deserved after surviving the day!

D) Drew and I bond more when daddy isn't around. We all know that he's been a daddy's boy for a good few months now, but last week brought him back to me. Now he asks for me to play instead of always daddy and enjoyed telling me stories. I have missed him and I'm doing my damnest to make sure he stays my boy. 




Man I love them something fierce.

25 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these photos are precious! Drew looks like such a great brother! My hubby had to take a few business trips when Saxon was a newborn, and it definitely wasn't easy juggling two little ones by myself. I have great respect for those that have to do that every day! I'm glad your kiddos didn't make it too difficult for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these pictures. Such sweet kids you have! Now it's my turn. 3 nights without Andy starting tomorrow. Nothankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures... I die!!!!! Congrats on surviving the week.. not sure if I could do it with just one child!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these pictures!! I'm glad you survived your hubby being gone. It's rough, trust me I know what you went through. My husband and I work opposite shifts. I work days, he works nights. So I feel like i'm alone most of the time with the girls. But we do our best to make it work, and the nights he is home...it's the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so sweet! Glad you had a great week with your littles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are seriously so adorable! Love these photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you survived your week as a single parent with two kids! Great job, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, good job on single parenting for a week. My husband only left for 2 days and I was SOOO glad when he was back. I sleep better and just feel more comfortable having him around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures! Solo parenting is such an adjustment when you are used to your spouse helping. I am glad the week went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you rocked the week by yourself!! It helps when the kiddos are as cute as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much sweetness in this post. Sounds like you did great solo for a week! It's hard to do but once you get into a groove it actually gets easier (not that I advocate for it believe me!). and I just love that pic of Drew on his elbows on the bed. So grown up looking yet so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such sweet pics! Sounds like you've got this mom of 2 thing covered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kids are so, so cute! Great job on managing both of them by yourself for a week! And yes to the single parent props - I've thought that many, many times since becoming a mom. Your pictures are gorgeous - what kind of lens do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, huge kudos to military families and single parents. Being a parent is a tough gig, and doing it alone… Dang. Huge props to those peeps.
    Glad you got that drink, finally. I've yet to try it with Diet Dr. Pepper, but it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on making it! I was terrified the first time G went out of town once we had 2. I think kids somehow sense when you're on your own and (usually) don't push you as much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photos are amazing! I have had a few nights here and there without Dave. They are fun, but more work, for sure. I've never had several in a row though. It definitely gives me a new appreciation for single parents!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!! Woohoo for surviving!! And Amen to the nightly cocktails!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for surviving!
    I agree, I don't know how women do it alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is s/t so great about the other parent coming home at night, if not to relieve you then to just be there to talk to and get a big hug from. Glad you survived the week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! Good job mama! Beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are super mom for doing that on your own! I would be lost without Steve to help at night for sure. I love those pictures, so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel you on the Diet Dr. Pepper. I know I shouldn't drink caffeine in the evening but I love one in the evening before bed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the pictures & I'm so happy to hear that you & Drew were able to re-connect. :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete