12.07.2012

A Crappy Post

First, let's chat about the non-crappy part. And that would be the fact that it's my father's birthday today! The quiet force in our family, my dad has always been there for me whenever I needed and I'm so thankful for that. He is the goofy one that can make anyone laugh, especially Drew, and always has my back.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! 
Love you tons!!



Now, on to the crap. {warning: not for those who get grossed out easily}

So our basement toilet has always filled super high when you flush it before the water goes down. It's quite a mini-scare every flush, but we figured that's just what the settings were. And then my family came into town for Thanksgiving and within a few days of their stay, it was overflowing with each flush and the guys couldn't figure out why.

Fast forward to the following day when the plumber arrived. He had to pull the toilet off completely and use his gynormous snaking machine before he could see what was clogging the pipes. Meanwhile, I'm frantically trying to think of what gets flushed down that toilet other than toilet paper. Nothing. I had no clue. Except, did maybe Drew stick a toy down there?

And then about 20 minutes in, I go to check on him only to find out the reason for the backup; baby wipes. ARGH! You see, we dump Drew's poo from his cloth diapers into that toilet, and sometimes leave a wipe in the diaper if it's got a big clump of poo in it. You see, I don't like poo sitting in our trash can and didn't realize that a wipe here and there was bad for a toilet. I figured it was like toilet paper and would biodegrade. Boy was I wrong.

$225 later, our pipes were clean. And my tail was between my legs.

Oh well... you live and you learn right? So here's my piece of advice; Do NOT flush baby wipes. EVER.

Evidence below: click to enlarge only if you dare


22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your dad! and that is super crappy about the toilet you would think they would have invented flush-able wipes by now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know that about the baby wipes, although I haven't done it before. Good to know now! And Happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your dad!!!

    My hubs always told me not to flush them, though sometimes I used to. Glad to know now that it's a big no-no. Sorry you had to pay to find that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I was thinking a toy car. I know kids who think the toilet is a car wash, haha. I think there are biodegradable and flush able wipes? Like the cottenelle ones for grown ups. Maybe those would work just to get the poop out of the diaper and flush. Or maybe $225 later you don't want to chance anything;) happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It stinks (pun) to learn the hard way!

    We had a similar, less smelly story. Back in the old house, we wanted to put in a ceramic entryway to our back door. We figured we could save lots of money and do it ourselves. Well, Andy used a wet saw to cut the tiles and when he was done, he washed the wet saw in our basement utility sink. We didn't know better. Apparently tile "shavings" mixed with water can form a ceramic "PLUG" and our basement flooded. It cost us $475 in plumbing cost to snake out the ceramic plug. We ended up spending more money on our DIY project in the long wrong. Whoops.

    Long story short - it happens. And now that you've posted this, I'll know to never flush a baby wipe. And for that, I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no that's awful to learn the hard way like that. Glad it is fixed now though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AGH!!! Terrible.. Backed up toilets are terrible. Money well worth spent:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes!! Good to know, and sorry you had to learn the hard way. :(
    And, love the pun of your post title. Baha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cloth wipes! I'm always surprised when people cloth diaper and use disposable wipes... I did that for like 2 days when I first started CDing (even though I had bought cloth wipes already), and for those 2 days it was such a pain to separately throw out poopy wipes. I'd rather spray off a cloth wipe. Plus they clean sooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh... we've flushed a wipe or two. Better stop that! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuck. Glad you at least know the culprit now :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man... I am SO guilty for that one! Thanks for taking the brunt of a very expensive lesson for us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeeeeeew. I have never done that, thank god!!!!! Or we would be in the same mess!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to say "that stinks" but someone beat me to it. Sorry you had to endure that mess!

    Happy Late birthday to your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol, yup, I hate when you have to learn lessons the very hard way. Glad you got it fixed though! Happy Birthday to your dad - so sweet:).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! Glad it's all fixed now. I hate it when stuff like that happens.

    But a happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah..not clicking on those pictures.
    Good to know though. I would have never known to not flush baby wipes.

    Thankfully Rey is out of diapers but we still keep them around because they are SO handy!

    Lanaya
    www.raisin-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh no-we defintely flush lots of wipes! just told adam your story so we are putting a halt to it! worst of all-my dad is a plumber, he would cringe if he knew what i was doing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. uh oh... we flush the disposable wipes since the boys are now potty trained!! Guess we need to stop! Sorry to hear you learned the hard way! Happy Birthday to you Fathers as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've scared me into submission, because I'm definitely guilty of doing this on occasion. We cloth diaper/cloth wipe, UNLESS we change a dirty diaper upstairs where we only keep disposable wipes. I won't tell my Hubs what I've been doing on the sly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH gosh! I flush wipes a few times a day...eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not a fun lesson to learn! I've always heard not to flush wipes...so when our Drew started potty training we did buy the flush-able wipes. They do have them out there, but they aren't has durable as the baby wipes (surprise surprise)!

    ReplyDelete